How practical is it to travel with a pony?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This would have been a better discussion, and briefer, if you had limited posts only to those who do travel with a pony, and avoid such as this...
The question has already been asked but I'll reiterate...do you really need a pony bottle. Better air management may be a better option.
You never know what your insta buddy will be like. I've had some pathetic ones.

I have carried my 19 cf tank several times for 5 years, getting mine Hydroed now. For a few years, there was not a clear statement from TSA and there were rumors of TSA confiscating ponies, but I never could confirm one, and did not remove the valve until TSA finally published a statement requiring the valve be removed. Now I remove he valve, pack it carefully with a tiny PVC pipe on the stem, in bubble wrapped, taped - and cover the tank opening with 1" Electrical tape that does not leave residue like duct tape. Never had a problem, and have traveled several times a year.

A Viz is required each time you remove the valve, but I replace it myself before getting it filled. It's for my use, so I accept full responsibility on keeping the inside of the tank clean. The Op just doesn't need to know. I have written on the pony "Air Only" so that a filler will not accidentally put 100% Oxygen into it.

I do check with the Op in advance to ensure that they will fill it on arrival, and not delay until the next time they run the compressor. They have ways.

If your luggage is overweight, pay the extra - big deal. But check with your airline to be sure they are allowing such at the time. During some periods, this is not guaranteed.
bananacyclops.gif

jd950:
As tempting as it is to make a humorous post out of that title, I actually do have a serious question.

For someone who will be diving in the Caribbean, and maybe the South Pacific, and getting there from the continental USA by air, is it practical to travel with a pony due to airline baggage restrictions? Do weight and size restrictions make this unreasonable?

I should add that on a recent trip, the 50lb limit was strictly enforced and had I exceeded it the price was something like $20.00 for the first few pounds and $50.00 for the next several. They also strictly enforced the one-checked-bag, one carryon limit. With gear, cameras and the usual traveling stuff, it was close.

If practical at all, how relatively difficult or easy is it to carry a 6, 13 or 19 cf tank?

I would say with the weight restrictions, hay, grain, tack, etc. it's not practical at all.

JMC99:
I would say with the weight restrictions, hay, grain, tack, etc. it's not practical at all.
Depends on which airline you use. I am checking two bags, and I am taking all I want. I if I fly a cheap airline that allows only one free 50# bag, then I'll use my savings to offset the price of my luggage.

I generally stick to Cont Air, and they allow me 2 - 70# bags. I stuck my roll-on with regs inside my duffle for last weeks escape from Cancun, moved my pony to my other bag, and was well over 50# on both.

Always dive with a 19 cf pony - bring it in my carry-on and other than the weight have never had a problem. Tried to put it in checked bags but got tired of having TSA opening them every trip to check it out. With it in carry-on at least I can repack it myself. The weight is not to big of an issue until you add on the camera housing, strobes, bodies, multiple lenses and ports. Need a pack mule to lug it all.

Need a pack mule to lug it all.
Can I pass mine off as a seeing eye mule so he can fly with me? I tell ya', that's the last trip for that duffle without wheels!

DandyDon:
Can I pass mine off as a seeing eye mule so he can fly with me? I tell ya', that's the last trip for that duffle without wheels!

Seeing eye mule - too funny!!!

Last two trips put more in the checked bags, clearly went over the 50 pound limit on both. At curb side check in when they told me it was going to be an extra charge I handed him a $10 bill and the $25 charge per bag somehow went away. May not work that well for international trips.

May at all for international trips, but always worth a try. The $25 charge is for revenue - not safety, and - it's not that much on a $2,000 dive trip, but when you can avoid it - go for it.

My outbound flight was canceled last week on Cont, and they agreed to cover me on American, but I don't have free overweight privileges with them. The Lubbock Cont agent took care of that, too.

I have been bringing my pony, with the valve out for years, in carry on. Does anyone know if that has changed?

Something to ponder, since flying with a pony can be problematic (although a weeny one might be fine...)...
elize to dive. Our current favorite spot is Huracan, which is a very small operation.

When we dive the Blue Hole out there, we are given the freedom to dive the dive we want and as a result, I take a stage kit and second reg. I simply make up my own stage with one of their 80s and sling it. I like the extra margin it gives me. The first time we did this, our DM seemed concerned, until I explained that it wasn't because we were planning on doing a 250' dive, but because we wanted to have the redundancy and the extra air. In the unlikely event of someone have some catastrophic loss of gas at depth, these additional tanks would provide enough gas to get everyone up safely.

I believe that they are converts now.

I have been bringing my pony, with the valve out for years, in carry on. Does anyone know if that has changed?
No changes in recent years that I know of. It always pays to check TSA and airline rules before traveling, of course - and countries outside of the US may have restrictions, but none that I've heard of.

Back
Top Bottom