Which places have the worst reputation for selling certifications?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There could also be a language issue. I see the OP is showing their location as Italy. Perhaps there are some subtle nuances of the English language that are getting lost.

i sincerely hope he has not started this thread so he knows where to go to "buy" a card after his SSI card gets "cancelled" by the shop that issued it to him. :(

When I first read the title of this thread, my assumption was that the OP would be referring to 'attendance' type courses; the sort you cannot fail, where certification is a given result at the end of the absolute minimum specified time/dives required. i.e. student mastery and performance standards are 'interpreted' in the most loose sense so that they become as irrelevant.

When I first read the title of this thread, my assumption was that the OP would be referring to 'attendance' type courses; the sort you cannot fail, where certification is a given result at the end of the absolute minimum specified time/dives required. i.e. student mastery and performance standards are 'interpreted' in the most loose sense so that they become as irrelevant.

upload_2016-2-8_8-29-42.gif

This thread made the others suspicious, methinks. Questions for OWD instructors

How about telling us where you have heard of this, especially the comment regarding not even being in the water?

You seem to be beating around the bush and have something to say.

There are plenty of job offers paying in certifications up to divemaster (and I bet 3/4 of them aren't putting people working for their diving centers in classes) and what about Asia, which I've read on here too abouttourists getting certified in 1 day or even without having been in water?

And no, I don't think it'd make much sense to skip this or do anything shady, which could have easily been asked with two separate accounts, so forget about spy movies catching up masterplans :)

Thank you

There are plenty of job offers paying in certifications up to divemaster (and I bet 3/4 of them aren't putting people working for their diving centers in classes) and what about Asia, which I've read on here too abouttourists getting certified in 1 day or even without having been in water?
I've read about people seeing ghosts, and levitating, and reading minds, and all kinds of stuff. It doesn't make it true.

No problem on bartering one's work for a certification, so long as the training standards are met. Your supposition that "3/4 of them aren't putting people working for their diving centers in classes" is your paranoia, which doesn't make it a fact either.

I've read about people seeing ghosts, and levitating, and reading minds, and all kinds of stuff. It doesn't make it true.

No problem on bartering one's work for a certification, so long as the training standards are met. Your supposition that "3/4 of them aren't putting people working for their diving centers in classes" is your paranoia, which doesn't make it a fact either.

I don't think bartering makes up skills and competencies, if it's economically-biased nice girls may as well offer sex for certs, it's still bartering but doesn't put things any better IMHO, you know I'm not referring to train-while-you-work certs bartering but to ones putting as simply as work for us 3 months and you'll get up to divemaster.

I think you are making this up for some purpose. You have no evidence to support your allegations.

I think you are making this up for some purpose. You have no evidence to support your allegations.
Do I have to copy/paste a few job offers? And we all know that not all things can be writter under the sun...c'mon, some common sense. It's not like I've been the only one to meet some of the most dishonest shops.
Luckily they aren't all like that, but now denying that a lot of stuff goes behind the lines is being too naive.

Do I have to copy/paste a few job offers? And we all know that not all things can be writter under the sun...c'mon, some common sense. It's not like I've been the only one to meet some of the most dishonest shops.
Luckily they aren't all like that, but now denying that a lot of stuff goes behind the lines is being too naive.
Yes, please do.

I think you are misreading into things. Some places say, if you work for us (btw, for nothing), we will train you up to DM.

Europeans love this - They save up or family pays minimal expenses, the kids work in a foreign country for a year or so. It happens all the time. Some will offer a minimal shelter and food stipend for you to live and dive somewhere. I know a wonderful DM who went to Malasia for a year. She lived in a shack like a Malasian, learned to eat their food, and was a divemaster and shop 'employee'. Wonderful thing to do if you are in your early 20's.

I assure, none of with whom I have spoken have *ever* had a short cut to their certifications.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom