Sexism?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Jill,

I think sexism is life and well in the United States. I specifically state 'US', because it is even more prevalent in other countries. Sexism is not just confined to diving, as a female physician I get it all the time. Mind you, I am being discriminated by other FEMALES! It is in the female group that I am being called or addressed by my first name when my male counterparts are referred to as "Dr. ....". I don't have a bug up my A.. about it, but I feel that I am being undermined by FEMALE nurses more so than male nurses.

That may be different in diving, especially in tech diving. As you well know, there are not a lot of tech diving women out there. If the numbers are still correct, there are only 33 % female recreational divers and maybe 10-15% female tech divers. Break that down even further into CCR or CCR cave, the numbers are even lower. Now personally speaking of course, I don't get discriminated against by other male tech divers as much as by male recreational divers who don't know who I am. When I was diving doubles, men would offer to carry them off the boat for me. My typical response would be: "If I can't handle my gear, I don't dive it".

I do find it amusing how some guys want to fuzz over a woman's gear but never offer to help another guy diver.

A lot of curbing 'sexism' has to do with how we women relate and react to it. I think women have a responsibility of taking care of their own gear! Unfortunately they are moving themselves into a "helpless" position by not taking that responsibility seriously and keep on depending on the "guy" to take care of technical issues or whatever. As much as I dislike this phrase "Be your own man", there is a lot to it.

I have PhD education and won't explore this topic at all, but I want this to be mentioned so my opinion is not labeled as being from an "ignorant person". And I use quotations when I write "ignorant person" because I find this term silly, given that every single person who has ever walked on this planet was ignorant in one way or another.

When you mention that women are misrepresented in the tech diving community, I ask: Are women forbidden from taking tech courses? No, they are not. So, is it a sign of "sexism" that women are less representative in the tech community? Obviously not. Since you're an MD, you understand that men are more prone to take risks and to have more aggressive behavior and the physiological reason for this is testosterone (the root of all evil). There are physiological reasons - often enhanced by social construct - that men must lead, be innovators, take charge, be go-getters.

You find it amusing that men offer to help you but men are (usually) raised to "be nice" and "be gentlemen" or they are labeled as "rude" and "not nice". I am a walking-talking example of someone who is known to be "not a gentleman" because my 2 sisters and I were raised by a mother who taught us all to be self-sufficient and never put ourselves in positions of weakness, but rather to grow strong and independent. Now that I'm a grown man, I notice how "the average woman" expects to be taken care of, expects men to be "real men", and take care of them. Even among highly educated women, there is expectation of demonstration of chivalry - which I often do not meet... intentionally.

Whenever I come across this type of “average woman”, I cringe. I cringe because they are the ones destroying everything my mom, grandmothers, 2 sisters, and wife work(ed) so hard for: being recognized as capable and equals.

Having said that, if people across the planet became humanists instead of feminists, men’s rights activists, or defenders of any imaginable social groups and sub-groups, too many people would lose their jobs. Especially those who make money out of controversy.

Don't "be your own man"... but "be a self-sufficient adult".

Last edited:
Obviously I have come too late to this thread. I found it interesting that a diving couple I know very always had the man carrying most of the gear and setting it up until they took up tech diving. Now she sees the importance of handling her own gear.

For those who decide to be sexist, I prove them wrong, 1 person at a time. Just the other day, I took 2 firefighters to the local quarry for a drysuit class. It is quite a surface swim (100 yds) to the first & closest platforms. When we got to the platform, the firefighters were huffing & puffing, complaining about cramping & not being able to breathe (ill fitting, borrowed hoods). They had had enough. They were in drysuits with AL 80's. I was in a drysuit & full technical gear (double 108's). I was not even breathing hard, relaxed & ready to go. On land, I am slower, but methodical in my motions with the doubles. I only weigh 60 more pounds than the kit. When others that think they are superior, see the way I can handle my technical equipment,... they are usually respectful afterwards. I try to handle my equipment smarter, not harder.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

There is no need to explain the deleted Posts. Keep it up and there will be further action taken.

For those of you who did not take the time to notice the Special Rules, here they are:

This is a forum where our female members are welcome to talk about ideas, concerns, and anything surrounding diving that their male counterparts - and some women as well - may not experience or care about. While participation in this forum by any of our members is not excluded, we ask that everyone recognize that this forum is a NO TROLL ZONE devoted to subjects that primarily concern female divers. As such, we ask that all participation be confined to civil discussion of the posted topics without questioning the need for the topic or forum itself.

Please note that offtopic or posts that do not conform to the spirit of this particular forum may be removed with or without notice.

Congratulations all for illustrating so well the issue. LOL
Men and women often perceive and interpret things differently. Our brains are different. Often our cultural conditioning is different. Avoid generalizing and treat everyone you meet as an individual, and treat them well until they earn the right to go on ignore.

Vive la difference!

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Thread closed.
It may be reopened after it's been cleaned up

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom