Bungee types - again ;)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

His MO is: The razor is pefect, all people that disagree just don't understand and everybody is out to get him.
He doesn't want hear what people have to say. Well, unless your name is Steve or HP.

Its kind of ironic, because I've discussed the Razor with both of them. I'm a fan.. and it was groundbreaking at a time when all we had was the choice of DIY, DiveRite and Armadillo. But I'll still say they are long overdue a Razor 3.0... as they've been overtaken in the market.

He thinks Steve Martin changed to the Stealth for 'political' reasons.
Good guess :wink:
Nobody of them would admid it, though. :wink:

Steve Martin has a different teaching method however.
He promotes flexibility regarding systems, gosidemount only teaches Razor, officially at least.

Went well for him:
He has become even more expensive than Steve Bogaerts

Yep. Same same.
Then that's news to me...
FIxed loop bungee (uses a triglide) as principal, and continuous bungee as backup is what was recommended up to a year ago (or something). I doubt he's changed anything on that side...

Edit: I might be wrong though, really haven't paid attention to any recent "insane evolutions" since I saw that people got all wet about a belt buckle or a d-ring...

Then that's news to me...
FIxed loop bungee (uses a triglide) as principal, and continuous bungee as backup is what was recommended up to a year ago (or something). I doubt he's changed anything on that side...

Edit: I might be wrong though, really haven't paid attention to any recent "insane evolutions" since I saw that people got all wet about a belt buckle or a d-ring...

On his video series he shows sliding (floating) loop, not (fixed) loop.

He does it with a bungee 'floater'. I use XDeep o-rings, as I take them off the front waist (why, oh why, XDeep??) and replace with low profile metal. So they're spare, very sturdy and work excellently as floaters. Somewhat of a compromise between floating and fixed... as the o-rings are less 'slidey'.

For students in other rigs (not XDeep) I show/configure them with 6mm bungee floaters and loops.

Belt buckles? Let's talk Apeks... LOL Seriously though... traditional weight-belt style buckles are soooo passé...

Last edited:
I'm a fan..
Same here. I made myself a Razor clone in 2010 before the Bat Wing was released and used it for cave diving and I used the single bungee too. Since that I have moved on to loops though. I tried a few other rigs and ended up making my own.

The razor was a great idea and I actually think it was mistake to have such a high price point, I believe the Stealth took a lot of the business Steve could have gotten....
And yes, a Razor 3.0 would be good. Loops and a better weight system would be nice.

@razor, please anwer this:

Andy has been an instructor since before you started diving, has more dives in SM than you, tried more systems than you etc. so he is more experienced than you in every way, right?... and you still think you know better?
If you feel lectured by him you should thank him for the free lesson, dude.

What's really ironic is this little anecdote:

Steve Martin and HP ware the only ones answering emails within a week or two when I tried differnet bungee system on my Razor.
I only had a few hundred dives than, still listened to people :rolleyes:

I explained to them that I had gotten the recommendation that the Razor bungee system was not optimal for cold water.

HP was like: 'I would recommend and use a different way, but try what you like'. :confused:

Steve Martin stayed in character however.
He explained in short words that the single bungee was the only usable system.
He was more like: 'You should not question the experience of the 'Steves''. :wink:

Later he seems to have revised his opinion, I didn't :cool:

Andy has been an instructor since before you started diving, has more dives in SM than you, tried more systems than you etc. so he is more experienced than you in every way, right?... and you still think you know better?
If you feel lectured by him you should thank him for the free lesson, dude.
No, I do not think I know 'better' I think I am experienced enough to know myself.

Andy (if I may call him by his first name) is doing several things very differently compared to myself.
I got rid of my ForceFins for example and am glad about it (still miss them sometimes, though).

Even perfect equipment might not work equally well for everybody.

The razor was a great idea and I actually think it was mistake to have such a high price point, I believe the Stealth took a lot of the business Steve could have gotten....
And yes, a Razor 3.0 would be good. ....
I share that opinion.
I have learned to understand however that they just do not want to 'razorize' everybody.
They could never keep up with demand at a lower price.
On Boot show in Düsseldorf they have sold every Razor they brought with them for three years in a row.
At half the price they would need to bring along shipping containers of them.

Fixed that for you.
Perhaps he just lost his edge :wink:
And with people like Garry Dallas and Tom Steiner working in the same area, perhaps that is not his only motivation too change something.

Personally I do not change my setup because someone else does.
I have to be convinced :wink:

Back
Top Bottom