Warm Water Gloves?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cburdick1

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello all,

Wife and I are just back from St Thomas, got 5 dives in while there.

One of our two-tank boat dives took place on a day when the water was rather rough, and we encountered a lot of surge. I was holding on to our mooring line during our safety stop and one rather large surge caused me to slide my hand along the mooring line, cutting it on the barnacles attached to the rope. My fingers and palm got hacked up pretty badly.

I'm thinking about buying a pair of lightweight gloves to use on rough days, making it easier to hold on to rope, dive ladders etc.

I'd appreciate any suggestions as to which gloves would work well for my application. I dive primarily in warm water, so warmth isn't really an issue, I'd need the gloves more for protection.

Thanks!

I never dive on a line without gloves - heck, other than my cert dives I think I have worn gloves on every other dive.

A pair of light work or gardening gloves are more than sufficient for hand protection.

We recently introduced a new glove. It is primarily directed toward spearfishers who need a glove that is cut resistant, very tough and also provides excellent grip.

Spearfishing Gloves - Cut and Puncture Resistant | MAKO Spearguns

MSG-2T.jpg

Google search "reef gloves". I never leave the boat without mine.

I wear Bare 2mm Tropic Pro Gloves and love them, wouldn't dive in warm water without them. Make climbing up a ladder back into the boat so much easier because I actually have a grip on the rail.

Be aware that some places prohibit gloves while diving. I always thought it would be a better rule to allow gloves for the entry if waiting on a line or for the exit for the very reason and situation you encountered.

These are the gloves I use for warm water. No insulation but they work very well with sheet metal that we use at my day job. Think of handling 2ft by 4 ft razor blades all day. Scuba "reef" gloves wouldn't last a couple hours. The neoprene is easily tore up and when they do put some type of fabric over that it gets fuzzy and nasty. Fine for shore dives and a protection from jellies and such but for hanging on a line. Crap.
Amazon sells these and you can buy them cheap. They are also great for working in the garage, around the house, or out playing in the woods. They dry super fast and don't get hard and stiff. There are other brands as well that you can pick up at any safety supply store.
http://www.amazon.com/Resistant-Glo...=cut+proof+gloves&refinements=p_72:1248909011

Back
Top Bottom