Galileo Luna reception issues

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Interesting. I'd like to read more about that. Did a little googling and found a 2006 Hollis patent mentioning it, but no further references.

I used to have major problems with my Sol receiver losing communications with the transmitter. I talked with the tech. support staff at Scubapro about it several times, and they always led with questions about whether I was using a strobe and what kind of light I was using. That got me to do quite a bit of experimenting and as a result I never lose communications any more. I now have a Light & Motion Sola 2000S/F, and it causes absolutely no interference. I used to carry a UK eLED light, and that would predictably interfere. Also, I never replaced my Ikelite strobe after I flooded it and I think that was a source of interference. So...I do have the right combination now, but it sure would be nice to know what options I have if I ever want to change light or strobe in the future.

The Ikelite DS-51 strobe intereferes with the Luna, I had to make sure the strobe was on the opposite side of my housing from the wrist I wore the Luna on. As other's have said also make sure that the Luna and transmitter are on the same side of your body. You can clearly see this by turning off the strobe and then sit and breath, you'll see the pressure drop, then turn on the strobe and the pressure will freeze and ultimately error out.

The DS-160/161 will do it if you hold the strobe in contact with the case, the Sea Dragon lights from Sealife will do it if they are close, and the Underwater Kinetics dive lights also do the same thing. Once you know the issue it's pretty easy to hold things in the other hand or replace them, but it's worth knowing it can happen.

Thanks for all the replies. I've not had a chance to do any real testing. I've only been in the pool once since my last trip and didn't get a chance to really do any testing (and didn't have my camera with me) but didn't have any issues.

It sounds like the Ikelite DS-51 flash I have is a major source of interference, and that would explain why it was so frequent on this trip. However, I had a couple times before my trip that it acted strangely that I didn't think I had my camera with me (but I might have). I also have a ScubaPro flashlight and see that another noted the issues they had with it, so I will check into that.

I'll try some of these suggestions and see what happens. I'll dive with my camera and if it starts happening I'll switch the flash off and see if that remedies it.

I may swap with the wife next time we go to the lake and see if she has issue. I may also play with mounting the computer to my BCD chest strap and see if that makes a difference.

I'll report back if I find a resolution.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom