321 Octo sound

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NotAsian

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I recently purchased two Hollis 321 octos and noticed that whenever I exhaled from either of them, it made this harmonica honking sound. But if I exhaled quickly, there would be no vibrating honking sound. I'm still a relatively new diver, but I don't think this is normal.

What you're reporting is a rather common reported issue with that generation of Hollis regs. Servicing the regs can stop the sound. This specific issue drove me to relegate my 212s to stage regs.

Its normal, i have a pair of 212s, one honks like crazy one is quiet as a mouse. Your registered Hollis service agent (or whatever) should be able to make the honking disappear although it can come back after time. As Mk706 said it's a common complaint, you'll find a couple of threads about it in the Hollis equipment section of this forum.

Thanks for all the replies guys. It'll still work fine, no?
Are they new? If so I'd return to have them serviced under warranty. If used, recommend having them professionally serviced.

Yes, I purchased them new from Dive Right in Scuba. I asked them about this, and they replied along the lines that it's normal, but get it serviced if it breathes wet or gets worse. Referring to the servicing, return the octos to the dealer or Hollis?

Yes, I purchased them new from Dive Right in Scuba. I asked them about this, and they replied along the lines that it's normal, but get it serviced if it breathes wet or gets worse. Referring to the servicing, return the octos to the dealer or Hollis?
Are they new? If so I'd return to have them serviced under warranty. If used, recommend having them professionally serviced.
Sorry, didn't know if I needed to reply to your specific comment, but I replied above.

Like many, I've had good interactions dealing with DRIS. Start with them. I believe Hollis still offers free parts for life when regs are bought from authorized dealers and serviced within the recommended interval.

In regards to your course of action, it depends on how long you've had them. If I bought them new within the past few weeks and had issues I would return them and buy something else. If owned more than a couple weeks I'd work though DRIS and see what they'll do (e.g., service at a discount, return).

I bought them about a two weeks ago, but received them on the 10th of this month. Is there any octo that you could recommend?

This flutter sound is not uncommon when breathing out of the water. It is the exhaust valve rapidly opening and closing. It is harmless and of no concern. It should not happen UW as the water will dampen (no pun intended) the motion.

Back
Top Bottom