Egyptian diver Wael Omar prepares for deepest dive of 400 metres

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In case the above link disappears, here is the the article:
CAIRO: Egyptian diver Wael Omar is preparing for a Guinness record dive with 400 meters underwater in Sharm el-Sheikh’s Ras Mohamed Protectorate March 30, Youm7 reported.

Omar will head to London for a medical checkup before the dive, and has also agreed with Guinness officials to be present during his dare. The dive is planned to be 28-hour long with 160 gas tanks.

The diver had set the world record for the deepest dive with 330 meters over 19 hours and 45 minutes, until Egyptian diver Ahmed Gabr broke the record in September 2014 with 332.35 meters in Sharm el-Sheikh.

Another Egyptian diver, Walaa Hafez, set the Guinness World Record for the longest open saltwater scuba dive for 51 hours and 20 minutes off Egypt’s Red Sea resort of Hurghada in June 2015.

You know what, forget it......

At least he's getting a medical check up. I mean, why bother. :/

Idiot. I predict another inexplicable "accident" on March 30th where all parties involved will say that everything went according to plan but the diver didn't return to his first stop.

R..

Why do people want to take such risks?

Further, what is known from this diver? From doc deep we knew he had only 595 dives. Are there some preperation dives done by this diver?

To paraphrase Mallory "because it's deep."

Having spent around 15 years mountain climbing, I was fortunate to meet some of the elite climbers of our time (Hillary, Messner, Lowe, Venables, Twight, Bonington, Scott, Blanchard, Boukreev, Breashears, Hargreaves, Wood, etc.) who pushed the boundaries of what was thought impossible. It is addictive and driving. Technological advances often resulted.

I think there are parallels with deep diving.

GJS

Last edited:
If the Guinness book accepts these kinds of dives they might as well start accepting air records again, they're just as dumb as this.

Current record holder turned the dive around 330 meters because of HPNS. Nuno had the same issues and only got to 318 meters.

I will not mention the other diver that expired late last year chasing the same goal. I think its clear that we have reached the limit for humans at around 300 meters on scuba. The commercials guys do go deeper, but they decompress over many days. That also have a totally different (much slower) descent rate to help combat HPNS.

I predict he will turn the dive before hitting his goals, or not return at all.

I want to say good luck but know it is not going to make a difference.

Last edited:
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom