Thinking about getting advanced/nitrox...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Connor Dreichler

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
So i just recently finished my open water certification. I live in south florida, an hour from the keys, so diving is gonna be a common thing now. My local store that certified me has a couple of packages. First off, my intentions are spearfishing and sightseeing. The packages they offer are: Option 1 is $1000 and Option 2 is $1500
1. + Mares Hybrid Pure BCD
+ Full Mares Reg Setup (1st stage, primary, and octo)
+ Oceanic VEO 100 NX Console Computer
+ Free Advanced/Nitrox class

2. + Aqualung Axiom BCD
+ Aqualung Core Reg Setup (1st stage, primary, and octo)
+ Suunto Console Computer
Free Advanced/Nitrox class

Is the extra $500 worth going for? Or should i spend about $1700 and get an Apeks Black Ice BCD, Apeks full reg setup, and an aggressive oceanic computer? I am only 17 and working, so a little bit of a budget, but i can come up with $1700 if i needed to... Wondering what the move is...

I personally don't think those deals are very good. Looking at the first package, that BCD is sort of a travel BCD. I don't think the features on it are worth the money. The weight system is horrible. Don't get a BCD that uses removable inserts for the integrated weight system. If you lose an insert, and it happens, you're out a bunch of money, and you're going to need to wear a weight belt until you buy a new insert. The dive computer is low end, and I don't think Oceanic even makes it anymore, every online shop shows it as discontinued. Mares regulators are okay, but there's a lot of good options on the market that probably cost less.

Second package, the BCD is mediocre, the regulator is probably okay...

For $1,000 or $1,500 you can get much better equipment. Now that being said, AOW is usually around $300-$400, and nitrox $100-$200. Probably closer to the higher end of the spectrum in your area, so these equipment sets may be a decent deal, but before dropping the money I suggest you make sure you're really happy with the equipment, once you decide you want to upgrade just one piece of that package, you're no longer are getting a deal.

If I was in your situation I would get the following equipment:
Regulator: HOG D1 ~$200 HOG D1 Regulator Set (just note that the set I linked is DIN)
Octo: An inexpensive octo around $100
SPG: Another $80-$100
BCD: Hollis Ride Wing - $299, or Zeagle Express Tech Deluxe - $349
Computer: You can spend $200 on a dive computer and be fine, or throw some more money at it and get a $500-$600 air integrated computer. Personal preference really, air integration is nice but it's not really worth the money. I upgraded to an air integrated computer for about $600, and I like the air integration a lot, but is it worth $600? No. Would I buy it again? Probably.

what about the Apeks deal? The Apeks full reg setup, Apeks black ice BCD, and an oceanic watch all for $1700

what about the Apeks deal? The Apeks full reg setup, Apeks black ice BCD, and an oceanic watch all for $1700
What Oceanic computer specifically?

The Apeks BCD is overpriced in my opinion. The weight system is crappy, it has inserts which are useless. Another failure point/piece of equipment that can get lost. That BCD does nothing better than BCDs that are much less expensive.

What Apeks regs? They make good regs, you can't go wrong there but prices on their regs are quite varied. AT20 is $375, and the XTX200 is $795.

So Apeks BCD, Apeks reg, Oceanic computer + AOW and Nitrox cert? It depends on what Apeks reg, and what computer you're getting, but it could be an okay deal. Honestly more money than you need to spend still...

I'm pretty sure it was the XTX200 (primary) and the flight (octo) and 1st stage, that reg combo was $700 and the Oceanic OCS computer, and the Apeks BCD, i use a weight belt by the way, no inserts

Can't really comment on your set ups, but when I owned APEKS gear (Central Florida), it was hard to get reliable service on the requlators

Reactions: Jax
I would personally avoid all of those packages and go with a backplate wing set up. I know what you mean by on a budget as I got certified when I was 17 as well and I am now 21 and in college. Look into a Diverite or DGE set up from dive gear express for a BP/W and a set of HOG regulators from Robert Arak (Scubatude), Dive Right in Scuba or Jim Lapenta, they will take care of you. For a computer look on ebay for a diverite nitek trio, it is still my go to computer to this day. You can support your LSD if you want by getting a decent oceanic or suunto Zoop from them. I now dive Apeks XTX 50 regulators, I love them and have never had a problem with service but have heard great things about the HOG regulators.

As far as training, get some dives under your belt and then go back and do your AOW and Nitrox (both worth it) I did my AOW about 30 dives after my basic OW certification and my Nitrox at the same time as my AOW.

Last edited:
Can't really comment on your set ups, but when I owned APEKS gear (Central Florida), it was hard to get reliable service on the requlators
Apeks are among the easiest regs to service...

1st... get regs that you can have serviced....anywhere... (give serious thought to DIN rather than yoke)
2nd if you are planning on advanced nitrox you are probably outgrow EITHER of those gear configurations very quickly....

My suggestion... get your advanced open water and nitrox classes out of the way and then come up to North Florida and take a cavern class... even if you have no intention of diving cavern it would be a great introduction to technical diving and you could get some exposure to technical equipment.

and last... don't buy ANY new equipment as you are starting out... you WILL out grow it way before you get a return on your investment. (I don't mean sizes here)

Tim

i'll disagree with Tim above, you can buy whatever equipment you want and almost guarantee you will be able to keep it forever, the key is in knowing what you ultimately want to do and buy equipment appropriate for that. I still own the original fins, BC, regs, and tanks that I purchased while taking OW. I don't use the BC or regs all that often because I rarely dive single tank, but when I do put a single tank on, they are what I go to.

Now, $1700 is a ripoff imho. Not sure which LDS you are going to, but they are pushing you to high margin gear for them so they're set up to make a lot of money.

$500 of that goes away for a combo AOW/Nitrox course, I personally don't believe AOW is a worthwhile course, but it is required to get on most charter boats, and Nitrox is 100% worthwhile. I think it is a crime that it isn't included in all OW courses at this point since it doesn't require any dives, and especially with the eLearning modules from PADI would be negligible to include. Rant over.

So you have $1200 to spend and want quality equipment, what do you do?
First thing is I would write $500 off of that and purchase a Deep Sea Supply backplate and wing. It offers the best bang for your buck of any of the rigs out there, made in the USA, good support, and great features that no one else has, especially for single tank rigs. The "normal" recommendation is the SS backplate with LCD20 or 30 wing, or the Torus 26. Either would be perfect for warm sunny Florida diving. Depending on your size, Tobin is also the only manufacturer to offer more than 2 sizes of backplates, so if you're tall, or wide, it's a great option for fit.
DeepSeaSupply - Products
Call Tobin, he is more than happy to give you advice on what would be the best option for you.

Next up is reg sets. $600 will get you a Dive Rite XT streamlined OW regulator package. This is a great package and you will literally never HAVE to upgrade. Dive Rite offers some great features, is both fairly easily serviced globally, but also have the ability to purchase parts and service yourself, and their lifetime warranty is not predicated on proof of annual service. This will save you a LOT of money in the long run as regulators do not have to be serviced yearly if they are used regularly, 2-3 years is fairly common for service intervals. In technical diving we typically service them when something goes wrong. Purchase an IP gauge and use it before each day of diving, and the first stage will tell you when it is time to service it when the IP is no longer stable.

This package includes equipment that is suitable for any diving from single tank recreational, up to trimix expedition. I recommend if you have an extra $100 to spend, getting the doubles package now, because the first stage is the one that is normally prone to failing. Having a backup first stage will allow you to quickly swap all of your hoses over with an adjustable wrench and then go back at a later date and get them serviced. The swap takes less than 5 minutes and can be done on the boat, as opposed to not having it, and if it fails you are done until you can get the first stage serviced.
Cave Adventurers - Dive Rite XT Regulator Backmount Package - Marianna, Florida USA - Never Undersold!
If you decide that you don't want the long hose, call the shop and talk to Edd or John, and they will change it out for a shorter hose, 40" is recommended with the swivel to go under the right shoulder and up, this provides an extremely streamlined regulator setup.

If you go to 2:10 in this video, you can see how this routes with a singles setup. It is VERY slick

that ate up most of your budget, and you need/want a computer. Deep6 will have theirs out in a few weeks for around $150 and that will be the best deal out there. Unfortunately it uses RGBM, but for recreational diving I am willing to overlook that for the price.
Hollis DG03 w/FREE Dry Box | Dive Gear Express®
That is a better computer, I would add the bungee mount from Deep Sea Supply for $20, but not bother with the usb interface or AI transmitters. It is a nice backup computer that will realistically take you through basic technical training because it is set up for multigas with decompression. It is the best bang for the buck right now.

So that's a bit over, it's $500+$700+$270=~$1500, but it is MUCH higher quality gear that what you were offered, and unless you decide to go to sidemount *the DSS rig can't be used for sidemount *, or doubles *you would need to purchase a doubles wing, but the plate and harness stay*, then nothing will have to be replaced. There is no backmount BC's better than the Deep Sea Supply rigs, different sure, but none better. There are no significantly better regs than the Dive Rite XT's, in terms of quality and user noticeable breathing characteristics, sure computers can tell some are minutely better, but as a diver, you can't tell. While there are most certainly better computers out there than the DG03, the Perdix is the best computer on the market, it is 3x the cost of the DG03, and there aren't really any computers in the middle that I'd really recommend. If you like the Perdix, call Cave Adventurers and see if they will put together a package price on the regs and computer for you, might knock a couple hundred bucks off, but no guarantees of that.

Contact a couple of shops for pricing on AOW with Nitrox, and interview a few instructors, I know Pompano Dive Center has some good instructors, but not all that familiar with the shops down there.

Back
Top Bottom