Does anyone know what's up with Turquoise Bay?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dmaziuk

Contributor
Reaction score
Does anyone know what's up with TB? -- We booked a dive package for April back in September when the airplane tickets started disappearing. Now we're apparently booked for "all inclusive" alcohol no diving stay, their old website disappeared, all the old e-mails are no longer there, and whoever's answering e-mails insists we're to take it and buy a dive package separately.

Did they get bought by a bunch of **holes recently or is that their situation normal customer service or are we missing something? Any inside info?

I hope you paid with a credit card as opposed to a cash or debit card deal.

Chug
Only has old info on TB.

Current website shows approx $1275/person for a week, with SCUBA "hinted" at being an extra charge.

Just curious.... What did you originally pay?

Current website shows approx $1275/person for a week, with SCUBA "hinted" at being an extra charge.

Just curious.... What did you originally pay?

We didn't: the booking is for April 2-10, they haven't hit our visa with the deposit yet, we e-mailed and asked for cost estimate. The ensuing exchange so far sounds like they outsourced their booking to someone clueless. Or maybe it's the problem with vacations on former/current Dutch and British-run islands: you get used to it and forget how "unobtrusive" the customer service in the South of the Border, USA normally is. -- E.g. Sand Dollar and Dive Friends on Bonaire are technically separate bookings and DFB won't confirm your dives until they see the cards, but they spell it all out up front in the e-mails. E-mails from TB sound like we're to sit at the pool feeding their cocktails to zico mozzies and if we came there expecting to dive -- that's our problem.

Anyway since we already got the non-refundable tickets, a) we're stuck with the dates and b) we can pay what we saved on those for that "hinted extra" and call it even.

PS. And no, on TB site I'm seeing, under dive packages it's 'include 3 boat dives/day, 1 night dive for stay longer than 6 nights, weights tanks, locker'. The 'SCUBA at extra charge' is what they say we booked. Fine, so change it: the rooms are already booked and there's plenty of time to arrange for room on the boats.

Last edited:
TBR has a dive service provided by Subway Watersports. They service several resorts across the island, both North and South sides as well. Subway's DM at TBR is Osman Gomez, certainly one of the best in the business. The Subway boats and rental gear I would grade among similar local style day-dive operations as "above the average". I would not concern myself with that part of the equation. It should be quite positive, just understand the nature of the boats and also the local reef structure and it's distance from shore. (no shore dive or snorkel) In April, North side weather issues should not be of concern. I'm still trying to sort thru your post and I think you were looking to TBR booking to give you the Subway numbers. Contact Subway directly- they communicate quite well.

The Resort itself, TBR, is the sketchy thing. A lot of comments on lack of responsiveness to communications. There is never any consistency in trip report ratings and a wildly swinging variance in descriptors of food, quality, service, room repair, etc. It is all over the board. Some are positively gushing, others call it a rat hole. Trip reviews are what they are, but the better places (worldwide) have amazingly consistent reviews. TBR also does a booming business during Semana Santa (as do a handful of other Roatan properties), largely from Central and South American clientele who are very interesting and seem to have a lot of cash. Room occupancy which is normally 10% all year long bumps to 95% for two weeks. Wonder how they can survive like that? :rolleyes: This can quickly change the feel of the place.

For "dive resorts" there are a few "known quantities" on Roatan, there are some real crap shoots. TBR lies somewhere in between, note that it is a resort that offers diving. I am amazed that they can charge $1200 for a week with 15 dives when for $1450 just down the street, you've got two outstanding operations with consistent reviews offering 20 to 30 dives in a week included. TBR beats these other dive resort options in terms of picturesque beauty and certain amenities (if they are working that week), but even the Honduran Government might take issue with their internet advertising phraseology of "private beach".

Poetic license.

The Resort itself, TBR, is the sketchy thing... It is all over the board.

Yeah, I'm getting that feeling. Pity we didn't do this back in September when those places "just down the street" still had rooms -- I'm fairly certain it's too late now. :(

I'm still trying to sort thru your post and I think you were looking to TBR booking to give you the Subway numbers.

That's not it, sorry for being unclear. We're trying to figure out if the $1200 dive package actually includes any dives because at this point whoever's anwering e-mails sounds like it doesn't. But she won't spell that out either... I wonder why.

Room occupancy which is normally 10% all year long bumps to 95% for two weeks. Wonder how they can survive like that? :rolleyes:

We have quite a few fast food places around the stadium here that are deserted 99.9% of the time. And then game days happen. I.e. it's not that unusual even for establishments not catering exclusively to respectable people.

Last edited:
It sounds like a manager/communication issue. Probably the person you are communicating with just doesn't know what they're talking about. Turquoise Bay has been owned by the same owner - no turnover that I am aware of. And I hear he is a great guy. I would say you just need to find a way to iron out the details. Subway runs a great dive op - you will be happy with the staff there, no doubt. Lots of our old buddies work there. It's a shame people are experiencing such confusion - that's not good for them, and it seems like a really nice resort.

If you decide to change you mind, we'll be a couple of minutes away at Media Luna Resort - arriving on the 7th. I'm told they are booked thru May, but the shore diving alone makes Media Luna a great option. Not to mention Aqua Adventures...the dive op that handles the diving services there - super people and great friends. They also operate out of Parrot Tree next door. Perhaps you could find a rental there for the week.

Am I looking at the wrong website? I see $1099-$1199 depending on the room, with it clearly stated what is included:
Dive Packages Include:
  • 3 dives a day with specialized dive masters from Subway Watersports (PADI 5 Star Instructor Development Center)
  • 1 night dive for stays of 6 or more nights
  • Weights, tanks, locker and boat transportation to the dive sites
I see no "hint" whatsoever that SCUBA is an extra charge. I DO see extra charges (or reductions) if one varies from the standard package, for example a single supplement ($170), non-diver (-$200), etc.

I'm looking at "dive packages," not "all inclusive packages." The latter DO have extra charges for diving.
Looks to me like the OP may have screwed up on either his initial reservation, and/or not keeping his emails.

Looks to me like the OP may have screwed up on either his initial reservation, and/or not keeping his emails.

Possible.

However, SWMBO booked from the "dive packages" page and not from "all inclusive" page. (Duh. We're coming to dive.) The site has been completely revamped since and we can't replay our steps and prove that the booking got messed up by their webshite. Regardless, there's 2 months to go, no money has changed hands yet, and rooms are booked already. So what's the problem with changing the booking. It does sound like the person answering the e-mails doesn't understand what we're talking about.

I'm sure if you stick with them and try to find someone to speak with about your original reservation, you can get the situation worked out. Present your case in a positive and friendly manner and I'm sure it will all be fine. You'll have a great dive trip :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom