Who sells 1/2 inch hose for a Mares Abyss?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BertStevens

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'd like to get a 40 inch hose for my Mares Abyss. I've tried searching the forums, but cannot find much info. Anyone have a source they'd like to recommend?

In the long run getting a port adapter may be a better option. It gives you more flexibility and options for hose routing, replacement ect.
You can get one here.

LP and HP Hose to First Stage Port Adapters | Dive Gear Express®.

I have several that I have used on my older AquaLung and Apeks regs with 1/2" ports. Another advantage to the adapter is if you have to plug the port, 3/8" plugs are a lot easier to find than 1/2" plugs.

In the long run getting a port adapter may be a better option. It gives you more flexibility and options for hose routing, replacement ect.
You can get one here.

LP and HP Hose to First Stage Port Adapters | Dive Gear Express®.

I have several that I have used on my older AquaLung and Apeks regs with 1/2" ports. Another advantage to the adapter is if you have to plug the port, 3/8" plugs are a lot easier to find than 1/2" plugs.

I've considered the adapter, but wonder what that will do to the breathing characteristics. I have to believe that the designers had a reason for the 1/2" port other than making it hard to replace a hose. Feel free to hijack this thread with 1/2" hose debates...

I also have 1/2' port in my Apeks DST and FSR 1st stage. Never really like the idea and eventually replaced the hoses and blanked the ports. I believe the latest Apeks regs have got rid of this design.

BTW, I did not feel any performance difference between the 3/8" and the 1/2".

I've considered the adapter, but wonder what that will do to the breathing characteristics. I have to believe that the designers had a reason for the 1/2" port other than making it hard to replace a hose. Feel free to hijack this thread with 1/2" hose debates...

I have been unable to detect any performance difference in my MR-22 by using the port adapter and 3/8" hoses, and likewise have detected zero performance difference between the standard length 1/2" hose and 40", 48", 60" and 72" length 3/8" hoses. No difference at all between 1/2" and 3/8" inch. Unless the hose is clogged, you will not notice a difference. The first stage and the 3/8" hose is supplying more air than you (or the 2nd stage) can handle.

Assuming my first stage is performing normally, performance is 100% dictated by how well I have tuned my second stage. The 2nd stage is the limiting factor, not the first. My feeling is that the performance increase by a larger hose diameter is theoretical rather than practical for recreational diving. The practical limitation on performance is the limitations of the 2nd stage, not a 3/8" vs 1/2" hose, since both supply more air than you can breathe.

Best wishes.

Back
Top Bottom