Fiji & Great Astrolabe Reef - Matava Resort

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

glimmertwins

Registered
Reaction score
A local dive shop is offering a trip to the Matava Resort on Kadavu, Fiji, and I wanted to see if the community had some feedback to help me decide whether or not to go. First off, I've dived in numerous locations throughout the Caribbean, but I've never been to the South Pacific. Looking at videos of places like the Rainbow Reef, the soft corals and large amounts of fish are just amazing. The Great Astrolabe, however, while it looks quite pristine seems to be primarily hard corals and not nearly the same amount of fish. Is this true? Since the type and quality of diving is my number one priority, I would love to hear from anyone who has experienced the area. As to the Matava Resort, I know it's pretty basic, which is fine, but any other feedback good or bad would be appreciated. Also, is there shore diving on property? There are mentions of Critter Junction, but since the resort waterfront is impacted by tides, I can't get a read on the situation. The trip would be in early October which appears to be a pretty good time since it's between summer and the wet season. My main consideration would be reasonable water temps. Am I correct in the assumption? Thanks for your help!

I would check on the Cyclone damage.....No one is sure of the reef damage...

Good point. The Matava resort has said that it suffered no damage, but I don't know how to confirm damage to the islands or this particular reef system. Certainly others were hit hard, i.e., Rainbow Reef and Taveuni.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom