Sandwich Sidemount

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What I mean is that many very competent instructors have gotten a 'boost' from the initial shock Steve's videos created.
A lot of unknown instructors and local celebrities have become known worldwide with sidemount videos or perfect pictures posted somewhere.

Before the sidemount hype, started almost exclusively by Steve and his first videos, they where probably known in some obscure technical diving circles, now some of them are collected at the airports by limousine when traveling worldwide to offer easy and low level training for beginners.

But before this is running completely of track I will post a link for @toby43 to a website I do not like to link to at all - we are no 'friends', quite the opposite :mad::
sidemount explorer: Wing, Harness, Backplate

It is, however, a complete enough explanation of the most advanced sandwich wing sidemount system available today (use web-translate, German only).

Last edited:
No, he was and is recommended to me as a Diamond expert (since I often dive with people using Diamonds, I also get some of 'their' recommendations ...) , because his videos with it where exceptionally impressive, I think.

Once again, your viewpoint > general consensus.

But before this is running completely of track I will post a link for @toby43 to a website I do not like to link to at all - we are no 'friends', quite the opposite :mad::
sidemount explorer: Wing, Harness, Backplate

It is, however, a complete enough explanation of the most advanced sandwich wing sidemount system available today (use web-translate, German only).

Thank you very much for this link, it's useful to have a look at his set up.

This discussion reminds me of my own path to sidemount.
A couple of years ago (2012), I had just been exposed to sidemount, in Tulum, Mx. After two days of diving with side-mounters I was keenly interested but not ready to run out & buy a rig. So I asked how I might try-it first. An experienced side-mounter described how I could re-arrange my backplate & wing, & get the feel of it. He sent me this photo to illustrate. The wing is sandwiched between the flipped backplate & diver. Bungies added & poof DIY side mount rig.

Attachments

• Try_sidemount_nomad.jpg
    Try_sidemount_nomad.jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 137
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom