Heads up display on mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

amanphoto

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm thinking about the idea of getting a Head up display for diving. I don't have a full face mask or re-breather. Has any one used them with a regular dive mask. I know Oceanic makes a mask with one in it, but not sure it's the best computer. I was looking at the Nerd. Has any one attached one of these to a scuba mask?

Well, the NERD and the SeaBear HUDC are the only HUDs that I know of that aren't simply PO2 monitors. Both of them are designed to fit onto a rebreather loop DSV/BOV. Rebreather loops are roughly an inch and a half in diameter. A regulator LP hose is significantly thinner. A mask mount would be even more of an engineering feat.

Provided you sort that problem out, you'll want to find a decent place for the controller box. On a rebreather it's usually velcro'd on to the loop back around your shoulder area. Again you'd need to adapt it to either an LP hose, or secure it somewhere on your harness or jacket. This is how you control the computer, so it needs to be accessible.

They also have a cable for reading PO2 data from the head. I don't know how they are connected to the control box as I don't own either, but if it's a Fischer cable, you'll need to make sure you check the blanking plug often. If it's hardwired, you'll need to figure out what to do with this excess cable that's doing nothing.

Realistically it's a lot of work, and a lot of expense, with very little gain for a non-rebreather diver. The appeal of these smart HUDs is based on the idea that when diving a rebreather you always need to know your PO2. By having a computer displaying not only your PO2, but your deco obligation, depth, dive time, etc., you can free up the rebreather diver to do other things as the information is right in front of his face. When diving recreationally, you just don't need this when a quick glance at your wrist will be perfectly adequate.

That being said, if you want to do it, be prepared for an involved adaptation to OC rec diving.

The Oceanic Datamask is a product that has been used by a lot of people. Here is a detailed explanation of its features:
Data Mask HUD w/transmitter

I do salve work around my maria and the vis is very very bad. Like inches some times. I thought this might be an option. I guess not.

I do salve work around my maria and the vis is very very bad. Like inches some times. I thought this might be an option. I guess not.
Why not????

The datamask seams limited. I want a more powerful computer that can do more. I dive in alot of silt so you can't see. I'm thinking seabear or liquidvision or shearwater or mares hd.

The datamask seams limited. I want a more powerful computer that can do more. I dive in alot of silt so you can't see. I'm thinking seabear or liquidvision or shearwater or mares hd.

What other features are you interested in?

I would like a compass, pressure, depth, time, the usual computer stuff. Since the vis is so bad, I think compass direction would helpful. Mutable tank monitoring. Wireless data transfer to smartphone.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom