20/20 program about the Lonergans.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KnotKrazy

Reaction score
20/20 is airing a program about the Lonergans right now. Most of you know their plight is what the movie "Open Water" is based on.

saw the show tonight. Pretty interesting to say the least. The show tonight was twice the production that the movie "open water" was. At least this show had continuity and professional filming. I bet we hear of more divers "lost at sea" in these same situations in the next few months. Always happens that way it seems. Watch a bunch of mvies or show about plane crashes and the news has a bunch to tell about. Hijackings on TV and you can expect a bunch in the near future. Something about life copying myth? whatever, the TV show was pretty good.
db

Interesting....the boat captain was found not guilty.

Regards

I thought it was a good show. The represented all sides, showed all the theories...staged it, suicide, etc, but didn't lean one way or the other and certainly wasn't in it for the alarmist factor that so many media types would do. Finally came back to the fact that it was probably an unfortunate and preventable accident.

Yep, saw that......... Didn't understand why the tanks was seperate from the BC's? I'd probably emty the tank so that it's most bouyant and then float on both the BC/Tank.

PS. The boat captain did end up paying a fine......not to mention the quilt he has to live with. Why wasn't the DM's held responsible?

I saw the show, and it followed the incident report on CDNN (http://www.cdnn.info/) fairly closely.

The death wish diaries were a new facet, however.

Even so, the bottom line is that the boat captain is always ultimately responsible for the passengers on his boat.

There is a lot divers themselves can do to avoid being left behind. One thing is to travel and dive with a group, not as strangers that no one else on the boat knows. Another things is to stay near the D/M during the dives. When you plan your next dive trip, this is worth thinking about.

The BCs found with the quick-disconnects open would seem to indicate the divers ditched their gear. That leads me to believe they either made it to the beach, or removed their only source of floatation while at sea. If that were the case, it sounds like murder/suicide.

ShakaZulu:
Yep, saw that......... Didn't understand why the tanks was seperate from the BC's? I'd probably emty the tank so that it's most bouyant and then float on both the BC/Tank.

Not only seperated, but seperated and found on the same beach. Two items with such different buoyancy characteristics, shapes and weight would never drift to the same place unless left there.

That more than anything else made me think it was some kind of scam they were pulling. But hey, who knows what really happened to them. I guess that's one of the things that make it such a good story.....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom