Scary DM

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

grazie42

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I just want to vent a bit about an experience I had while on a "6-pack" in Florida last week...

It was your basic 2 tank reef dive off a boat. At the divesite I was buddied up with a guy by the captain. The captain also explained that if one in a buddy pair decides to go up its ok for the buddy to stay in the water - Essentially two solo-divers towing a portable up-line. I was ok with that, so was my buddy...anyway:

As we jump in the water the DM and his student (after some trouble) descend. The DM immediatly starts swimming against the current leaving his student struggling to keep up about 9ft behind. My solo-buddy takes about 3mins of this before he aborts to the surface.

The DM looks as if he´s trying to do a workout & diveguide-combo because he wont stop finning. As I´m now solo I decide to stick with the DM/student figuring that a little exercise wont kill me and that I´d better keep an eye on the student (the DM is to busy swimming laps or whatever).

Not long after my "buddy" aborted the dive the student starts slowly floating to the surface. I get the DM´s attention (screaming thru my reg) and he slows to take care of the "problem". He swims up to the student, deflates her BC and seems to make a sign that means "dont touch that inflator until I tell you to". He hangs with her for a second or two, askes her ok? she responds ok (handsignals) but even to me, about 9ft away and below its obvious she´s stressed.

At this point I´m seriously considering stepping in but as he´s a DM and she´s his student, I´m not part of their team and she just signed ok I feel it isnt my place...

After the handsignals the DM seems to be trying to make up for lost time by finning harder...still going against the current for some reason (maybe wants more resistance or wants her to use up her air quickly). Now he´s holding her hand, dragging her along. After a while he lets go of her (trying to get a fullbody workout by using his arms as well). It doesent take long before the student starts floating up again, this time he´s close to her and notices on his own, only now they both float up...all the way to the surface (only from about 50 feet but still).

After a short interaction on the surface (I can´t hear as I´m watching from below) they descend again. This time the DM seems to be determined not to lose her again as hes gripping her elbow while they fin along, a bit slower as well. After a total of 20mins in water they both ascend because they are running low on air. I stay and watch them surface to the safetystop and suddenly my solo-buddy joins me and we spend another 20 mins diving the reef, just floating with the current.

By the time we ascend the DM and student have been on the boat, changed tanks and jumped back in, where they stay during my entire SI (only ½hour but still).

Is it just me or is this DM a real *^¤)=/&?!

Think i have to agree with ya there!

Seems the DM just wanted to either show off in front of the student or put his student in danger! Maybe he was hoping she'd abort and he'd be left alone (by the way what captain agrees with this rationale in those kind of conditions?)

Anyhoo- at least if something went wrong you were standing by- although it doesn't seem like the DM or the student were even aware of that!

SF

I am just wondering, since the student signed a waiver presumably, absolving the DM and the operator of any liability, what would happen if you did step in and help (interfere)? Would you set yourself up for any liability in the event of an accident?

wtf? That was just weird. There was so many things wrong with that story. They're very lucky no one got hurt or (worse) died.

i wonder what their side of the story is?

A couple things.
-A DM has a student? All I can do is guide tours for already certified divers. Is this a new rule that I missed.
-Hard call on the buddy team. Teams are just that, not 2 solo divers. BUT, I might have had to stay and watch the "student" also if the DM was not paying attn.
This is when the video camera comes in handy, I've been able to show people just how idiotic they are under water after they swear the didn't break the coral or stir up the bottom, etc.

norcaldiver:
A couple things.
-A DM has a student? All I can do is guide tours for already certified divers. Is this a new rule that I missed.
-Hard call on the buddy team. Teams are just that, not 2 solo divers. BUT, I might have had to stay and watch the "student" also if the DM was not paying attn.
This is when the video camera comes in handy, I've been able to show people just how idiotic they are under water after they swear the didn't break the coral or stir up the bottom, etc.
Reread your instructor manual.
PADI DM can independantly guid open water students on the tour portion of open water diver course 2,3,4 at a ratio of 2 students per DM
Thats from '98 instructor manual there may be some changes to that lately.

Was the DM swimming upstream to look for a particular part of the reef?

I know I have had to get people out of a downstream current some times this way, but usually it is more like 2 minutes rather than 20.

Did anyone ask the guy after?

And what was a DM doing with a student??

I have to presume the "student" was as newly certified diver, 'cause DM's deal with students only under the supervision of an instructor.

If a DM doesn't know better than to behave like a "superdiver," then he/she has no business being a DM. Sure each diver is primarily responsible for his/her own safety, but, in buddy teams, a DM, as the "experienced" buddy, should know to allow for the the possibility of less experience from their non DM buddies.

IMHO, this DM might have been thinking more about impressing a female than what his job really was. Not very smart!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom