Overseas Travel -- Rechargeable Li-Ion Batteries

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SeahorseDeb

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I live in the U.S. And will be traveling to Japan soon, taking my GoPro with two strobes that use 18650 Lithium batteries. TSA website says ".....the FAA prohibits loose lithium batteries from being transported in checked baggage." I intend to hand carry on my rig, and if necessary I will go to our local airport to cinch down whether or not I can transport them inside the lights. What advice do you have?

A battery in a light is not a loose battery. You can check or carry-on your strobe.
if you have a spare, loose battery, you MUST carry it on. Cover the terminals with tape.
You have no problem.

Do you actually have strobes, or do you mean video lights? No problem either way, so long as the batteries are installed.

I have two of the 900 eLed "Light For Me" lights... Maybe strobe was the wrong choice of words....

Last edited:
Spare batteries carried inside their chargers are not considered loose either.

Thankyou Tomz, lights are charged, in their canisters and ready for the trip through TSA.

Thankyou Tomz, lights are charged, in their canisters and ready for the trip through TSA.

You're welcome, my pleasure. Enjoy your trip!

Thanks TomZ, I'm still trying to decide on bring my 5/7 wetsuit or my dry suit!

My advice is to carry both the light and batteries in carry-on. They have a tendency to open flashlights in checked baggage and one time the whole LED head was missing.

I will keep them in the light caniste, thank you!,,,

Back
Top Bottom