Diver sucked into nuclear power plant cooling system

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I find it difficult to believe they didn't know all about it. Its not like they just drifted down from Maine chasing lobsters. Oopsie!

Wait, I should rephrase this;
How many times has this happened to you? Is it just a Floridian problem?

Last edited:
What was the warning Pete? I don't recall.
You mean the big yellow warning buoy with a warning sign right by the intake? It's right there on the diagram.

What was the warning Pete? I don't recall.
Probably the only question they got wrong on the mandatory boater safety class... Ohh wait.

Nevermind.

Are you saying there's no mandatory boater safety class? So they can sue Florida now?

From fwc website :

• Anyone born on or after January 1, 1988 who operates a vessel powered by 10 horsepower or more must pass an approved boater safety course and have in his/her possession photographic identification and a boating safety education identification card issued by the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission.
  • The following operators are exempt:
    • A person licensed by the U.S. Coast Guard as a master of a vessel.
    • A person operating on a private lake or pond.
    • An operator who is accompanied onboard by a person who is least 18 years old and possesses the required Boating Safety Education Identification Card, provided that person is attendant to and responsible for the safe operation of the vessel.
    • An operator who is accompanied onboard by a person who is exempt from the educational requirements, provided that person is attendant to and responsible for the safe operation of the vessel.
    • A non-resident who has in his or her possession proof that he or she has completed a NASBLA-approved boater safety course or equivalency examination from another state.
    • A person who is operating a vessel within 90 days after the purchase of that vessel, provided they have available for inspection aboard that vessel, a bill of sale meeting all the requirements as established in Chapter 328.46(1), Florida Statutes.
    • A person operating a vessel within 90 days after completing an approved boating safety course, as required in Chapter 327.395(1), and has a photographic I.D. and a boater education course completion certificate showing proof of having completed the required boating safety education course. The course completion certificate must provide the student's first and last name, date of birth, and the date the course was successfully completed. (Effective Oct. 1, 2011.)
Please read our Frequently Asked Questions.

I'm in no condition to read through all that. Perhaps I have a case.

If you failed to obey a clear warning of what lay beneath, then sure, you're trespassing.
Kind of the way you'd be trespassing if you ignored my "beware of dog" sign while you were on the public sidewalk and my dog dragged you onto the front porch?

warning sign right by the intake? It's right there on the diagram.
We must be looking at different diagrams. The one I see says nothing about a warning sign, let alone a "clear warning of what lay beneath". If there is a sign it would tend to negate any argument that you should stay away from the buoy, in that you'd need to get fairly close to read the sign. If there isn't a sign then the buoy is just a standard navigational aid that only means there's something that requires caution in navigating in that area. There is no special nuclear plant water intake buoy.

The diver in question may be dumber than 90% of other people, but when you create a potentially hazardous situation you need to account for more than 90% of people. Anyone here who's aware that boaters sometimes investigate diver down floats should know that when warnings aren't recognized people may ignore them or investigate them.

Anyone born on or after January 1, 1988
So there is no requirement for those older than 28.2? Or a brand new inexperienced boater who bought their boat yesterday?

Kind of the way you'd be trespassing if you ignored my "beware of dog" sign while you were on the public sidewalk and my dog dragged you onto the front porch?

nah... more like sticking your head over the wall because you wanted to see what was there... and the dog grabbing you and pulling you over...

yea that more accurately describes what you would have to do to get sucked into the intake

What does it say on the marker? Does it indicate there are large unprotected intake pipes that can suck you up to your death? Are the markers for boating hazards? Does it say do not approach within 100 ft of this location?

Does anyone believe the FPL statement that there is a barrier to prevent a diver from being sucked up? When I dove there, I saw no barrier - I had heard it was safe to dive there and I was confident that they had erected a grate of barrier to prevent the entry of manatees, turtles, jewfish.. but that is not the case.

It may not be so clear cut as people are assuming. It is not like you can see some giant whirlpool sucking up water out of a calm pond.

If there's a warning buoy for boating hazards (on the diagram and picture that teknitroxdiver posted), does that absolve a diver going in to the same area since he's not a boat? Does a general hazard marker apply to anybody in any state in the vicinity, or does it only restrict water craft? I don't know anything about Florida law, it's an honest question.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom