Around Madison??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Steve_C

Contributor
Rest in Peace
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
My nondiving son has just moved to Madison. So I expect to be there a few times in the next few years probably in the Spring/summer/Fall. What are the options for local diving? Quarry, Lake, ?? I do not mind lower viz but do like to be able to see. Probably just rent gear for a day or two but might bring own regs, mask, and computers. Like to keep this sort of diving 80 ft or above. Would not have buddy but do not mind renting a private DM.

There's a site or two on Mendota. I've never dove there.

Scuba Diving Certification - MadisonScuba - Snorkeling and Dive Center : MadisonScuba

You willing to make the 90 minute drive to Milwaukee? Not sure if you are still in NC, but if you have to get to Madison anyways, you're probably going to be either driving through Milwaukee or flying through Mitchell Field (Milwaukee).

Milwaukee has one of the best shipwrecks on Lake Michigan- the Prins Willem. Bottom is 85 feet deep. Two loading cranes stick out. A few fun swimthroughs.

There is also the Carferry Milwaukee which sank in a storm the day after the great crash of 1929. 300 feet long. A lot to see. The deck is at ~100 feet and the bottom is ~ 130. Vis isn't always that great and it's a very serious dive, but it can be pretty neat.

Take a look at Cris Kohl's book- Great Lakes Diving Guide. There's a section in there on Milwaukee as well as everything from Green Bay to Hammond Indiana. It's not quite the coast of NJ, but there's been a lot of shipping traffic on Lake Michigan, a lot of shipwrecks, and there's a lot of stuff to dive on. And the vis is usually pretty good, at least until the lake starts turning over in late October.

You can shoot South of Madison 40 minutes and go to Pearl Lake in South Beloit IL., it is an old quarry that is set up for diving, vis 10-30ft been set up with items to see, bus, plane, boats etc. Nice place to get wet. Have air fills but no rentals.

Devils Lake is north of Madison about a 1 hour Drive. There is no support as far as Dive Shops anymore although some shops still do their training there. A nice place to dive. Not deep, typical dive depths are about 25-35 feet. My favorite is "The Rocks" on the North East corner of the lake. Viz is typically about 15-20 feet. You do need a Dive Flag.

A little over 2 hours north on I 94 to Black River Falls, WI. Lake Wazee or Wazee Lake, it depends on who you talk to. It s an old Iron Mine that Jackson County has turned into a decent dive site. It is used for training all levels of diving certification. The park is diver friendly, and the beach is to die for (for non divers). Not to well known except for tech divers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom