Artefact pillaging?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Janko

Registered
Reaction score
I've just finished reading "The Last Dive", about the dangers of deep wreck and cave diving and the loss of life involved in these endeavours.

One thing struck me as odd: all of the expert divers in the book are active seekers of goodies from sunken ships (dishes, portholes, bells, etc).

I'm new to diving (and know nothing about wreck/cave diving) but I was seriously irked by this underwater shopping spree. Although unlikely that I will ever get to the wrecks explored in the book (Andrea Doria, U-869, Empress of Ireland, etc) I would think that a diver getting there for the first time and finding a bare ship would have a far less rewarding experience than someone who spots champagne flutes, brass fittings and other items that add a human touch to the rusty maze.

Even if these liners are enormous and will probably disintegrate before they run out of stuff to pillage, I find the principle of it all rather sad. Does this goodie hunting not contravene the diving etiquette of taking nothing but photographs, leaving nothing but bubbles? Is wreck diving exempt from this for some reason?

What a can of worms to open.

Look at it this way - in salt water (the Great Lakes and other freshwater bodies are a different story), everything is going to disintegrate pretty quickly, and the artifacts ARE going to be lost forever. "Look but don't touch" is fine for marine life, but basically wrecks are a result of human activity, whether it be an accidental, deliberate or wartime sinking. There's a few valid exceptions where I personally feel artifact taking is a no-no, but for the most part, in salt water, artifacts will simply be lost if left in place, either through corrosion, burial, or outright destruction from being exposed to the elements.

Bringing them up might be an annoyance to the next diver who doesn't get to see it in place, but take a wander through any maritime museum and look at all of the artifacts recovered from wrecks. There isn't enough room in the museums of the world for all of the possible artifacts that can be recovered - so what would you have, leave them to rot so some sports divers can look at them for the next 50 years or whatever the lifetime of the object is in the ocean? Or have it recovered and hopefully in the hands of someone that is going to the effort of recovery so that they can be preserved?

I used to have a similar outlook to you, but it's changed.

Yeah, that makes sense; I thought this would be the case but i was surprised when I was reading the book, that's all.

We don't take anything in the Great Lakes. It's illegal and things last a long time in fresh water.

Things don't last anywhere near as long in salt water and it isn't always illegal.

MikeFerrara:
We don't take anything in the Great Lakes. It's illegal and things last a long time in fresh water.

Things don't last anywhere near as long in salt water and it isn't always illegal.

Really, I did not know that there is a law prohibating artifact recovery in the Great Lakes in the US.

NEWreckDiver:
Really, I did not know that there is a law prohibating artifact recovery in the Great Lakes in the US.

There are and from what I understand they cover more than just what you might find on wrecks.

I can't site the statutes but links have been posted on the board in the past so you could probably find them if you did a search.

I don't think I'll ever take a souvenir. To me, it would feel like grave robbery. Now, I'm not going to cast judgement on anyone else, let them make what they feel is a morally acceptable decision.

I would however have bitter words for anyone that brought up the remains of a victim as a "souvenir". I do know a person who wants to go to Truk and get themselves a skull from one of those wrecks. I'm strongly opposed to that sort of behavior.

On the flip side, if we are talking a china plate or a coke bottle, I'd say let your own sense of morality be your guide.

Wijbrandus:
I would however have bitter words for anyone that brought up the remains of a victim as a "souvenir". I do a person who wants to go to Truk and get themselves a skull from one of those wrecks. I'm strongly opposed to that sort of behavior.

Bone hunting is a demented hobby.....

I'm pretty sure that possession of human remains is illegal, in Canada at least. One of my instructors in battle school used to lament the fact that he was unable to acquire a skull as a collectible. There's all manner of loonies out there....

As far as recovering things from wrecks.... it's quite common up here. Common sense usually applies.... if you need a torch to cut it out of the wreck, mayhaps time to reconsider. Most of the wrecks are debris fields in any event.

I was fortunate enough to do some diving in the St Lawrence river, it's commendable that the community there has been able to ensure that the wrecks are left in such beautiful condition. It was nice to be able to see the artifacts still on the wreck, and to know that it would still be there the next time you visit (hopefully).

MikeFerrara:
There are and from what I understand they cover more than just what you might find on wrecks.

I can't site the statutes but links have been posted on the board in the past so you could probably find them if you did a search.

Like if you drop your watch you have to catch it before it hits the bottom :)

Back
Top Bottom