Tortugas And Musa

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sue Sue

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
My Group's dive trip to COZ is set for June. We are seeking recommendations for a Dive Op to contact who can accomodate our one day to the "Other Side" in order to dive Tortugas and the MUSA. NOT Scorpio Divers.

Diving the "other side" is totally dependent on weather. Normally, and probably in June especially, the East side of the island is the windward side, and thus very 'surfy' and not very good for diving.

Aldora keeps a boat over there during the winter, so that when a Norte blows in and that side of the island becomes calm, they will dive over there.

What are Tortugas and MUSA? I've heard of Galleons, but not those.

Diving the "other side" is totally dependent on weather. Normally, and probably in June especially, the East side of the island is the windward side, and thus very 'surfy' and not very good for diving.

Aldora keeps a boat over there during the winter, so that when a Norte blows in and that side of the island becomes calm, they will dive over there.

What are Tortugas and MUSA? I've heard of Galleons, but not those.

I believe she is referring to a day trip to the Cancun side of the channel.

A few years ago we went with Scuba Cancun but only did a Museum dive. They were fine. My impression was that they were used to lots of new divers, or possibly even "resort course" divers doing that dive, so it was pretty "guided". We did the museum and then a little patch of reef on one tank. (35 minutes?) We missed the grand opening by a couple months and as I understand many statues had been removed. Other than the groups of people, most of which covered in dense green growth, the volkswagen was there and looked pretty clean. We went there as a friend of mine is a sculptor and wanted to see it. I set it up so that we did 2 cenote dives in the morning and then hit Cancun for the MUSA dive. After the MUSA dive, the sculptor thought it was kinda neat, but was blown away by the cenotes. We all thought the museum was kinda neat and enjoy dives no matter what so it was fine, but wasn't all we thought it might be. Scuba Cancun was easy to work with and I'd suspect you could arrange your 2 tank trip with them and have less of a "tourist" type dive on the museum.

From 2012:

PICT0059.JPG

Perhaps my group will skip MUSA....Would still like to dive Tortugas, maybe we will add a Cenote instead. Thanks for the input.

Hey Sue, when we stay on the Playa Del Carmen side I use the Abyss dive shop, it's been several years but they have always done a really good job. Tortugas is a fun dive, I have always seen LOTS of turtles there. Abyss Dive Center, Playa del Carmen
Paul

Hey Sue, when we stay on the Playa Del Carmen side I use the Abyss dive shop, it's been several years but they have always done a really good job. Tortugas is a fun dive, I have always seen LOTS of turtles there. Abyss Dive Center, Playa del Carmen
Paul

Hi Paul, It's been awhile, How are you ? Thanks for the info, I will follow up .

We are doing great, here are a couple pictures I took at Tortugas and the Cemote Chac Mool and my video from Chac Mool.

Attachments

• Tortugas 1 (2).jpg
    Tortugas 1 (2).jpg
    128.1 KB · Views: 20
  • Tortugas 2 (2).jpg
    Tortugas 2 (2).jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 28
  • cenote 3-4.jpg
    cenote 3-4.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 27
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back