Similan day trip from Phuket

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vixtor

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello,

Can anybody give me an advice about a diving operator to choose in Phuket for a day trip to Similan? I have a single day available for this - February 20th, as afterwards I plan to go south towards Koh Racha, Koh Lanta and whatever other chill islands I will have the mood/opportunity to go to (so staying in the agitated Phuket longer is not my option).

Thanks,
Victor

I presume you mean you know (or maybe work for) Divebooker? If so, you may want to update your database, the first 2 companies you mention don't exist anymore.

@ the OP: there are 2 options for this, priced at 4,800 and 5,600 Baht for a 2-dive trip, both prices excluding equipment rental and national park fees. I'd be happy to help you.

Hi,

As promised, this is my post-dive feedback: I have booked a daytrip through Namloo Divers (strictly because of the quality of the dialogue and the clarity of the provided information). We have physically met one day before (when I have arrived in Phuket), to pay. Next morning, the Siam Divers truck picked us from the front of the hotel. The trip to the pier takes about 2 hours). From there we got into speedboats. The speedboats go daily to the big liveaboard boats which they are operating in the Similan area, carrying the daytrip and also the liveaboard guests (so the big boats don't return to mainland). On the big boat everything was pretty well organized and we had no issue. The diving itself was nice, but no spectacular/big life. After the second dive, the daytrip and the departing liveaboard customers get back into speedboat to the shore. The remaining guests do one more dive before our arrival, and one more after our departure.

Doing it as a daytrip (as we did) is pretty hard on the schedule, but we had no other choice, as we were leaving south the same day.Food on boat was ok, but not spectacular.

During the same vacation I did 8 more dives with Lanta Divers from Koh Lanta (including Hin Daeng/Hin Mueng). The service on the boat of Lanta Divers was better in terms of food/drinks on board, and I have liked their boat a little more.

In terms of diving, I know I haven't seen enough of the Similan, but based strictly on what I have seen, I would say that my best diving was at Hin Daeng/Hin Mueng in terms of visibility and fish life in general, but the very best was at Koh Bida (where I have met blacktip sharks, leopard sharks, cuttlefish and a turtle). The rest of the sites that I have seen (Similan, Hin Daeng, Koh Haa) had better visibility than Koh Bida, but no spectacular sea life encountered. Of course, this is also luck dependant.

Just curious, Victor, what sites did you go to in the Similans? I would expect that Koh Bon, Koh Tachi and the sites near the actual Similan islands (and Richelieu, if you count that) would be quite different from each other.

One site was called "Three trees" and the other was the north point of the archipelago.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom