New 12-60 lens

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No, it's the modification I've published here around two years ago.
a very simple modiicaion inside the lens to add a "reed relay" inside it (just by removing the lens backplate and adding the reed relay inside, nothing visible outside, and no functional changes).
You leave the lens in e-zoom mode inside the housing, and you then set macro mode by a moveable magnet outside the house. I can re-publish the pictures i there is interest.

I have the 12-50 lens and use it as my primary UW lens now -- first with the E-PL1 & standard Oly housing and now the E-PL6 with the standard Oly housing.

My question, how much macro benefit do you get by going to the macro setting as opposed to just shooting at 50mm?

Note -- I really learned the benefit of this lens in the Sircorros -- shooting "macro" on the wall and then played with giant mantas for 20+ minutes.

The minimum focus in air for the 12-50 at 50mm is around 23cm (10") in front of the lens, it will be even longer in water. I've never been able to use the lens at 50mm, too unclear water here.
The 12-40 however can focus 5cm in front of the glass at 40mm (so your port should be as short as possible!!), that would make a great do-everything lens if I rob the bank or win the lottery i don't play, so I can get a suitable housing for it.
Of course there could be a problem adding wet lenses, don't want to focus on them.

The minimum focus in air for the 12-50 at 50mm is around 23cm (10") in front of the lens, it will be even longer in water. I've never been able to use the lens at 50mm, too unclear water here.
The 12-40 however can focus 5cm in front of the glass at 40mm (so your port should be as short as possible!!), that would make a great do-everything lens if I rob the bank or win the lottery i don't play, so I can get a suitable housing for it.
Of course there could be a problem adding wet lenses, don't want to focus on them.

Have u tried the minimum distance 12-40mm without the macro mode on??

There is no macro mode on the 12-40, it just has the ability to focus very closely, all over the range.
The minimum focus distance for the 12-50 in macro mode is 7cm in air

There is no macro mode on the 12-40, it just has the ability to focus very closely, all over the range.
The minimum focus distance for the 12-50 in macro mode is 7cm in air
Sorry. Typo. If no macro mode?? What is the closest focus distance of the 12-50mm??

Back
Top Bottom