Looking For Cheap, Digital Dive Watch (<60 Feet). Preferably On Amazon.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Papasmurf89

Contributor
Reaction score
Just like title says, looking for cheap, digital watch that I can use while diving. Cheap as possible. All it needs to do is tell the time, nothing else. Won't be diving deep, likely less than 30 feet but if it could go deeper, great. Nothing fancy. Preferably on Amazon. Recommendations?

Edit: Dives will be 60-80 minutes. They need to last at least ~20 dives.

When I was going through my instructor training class, I, and most of the other trainees, had fancy dive computers but nothing that would tick off the seconds easily. We all rushed to the local CVS drugstore and bought cheap watches for $5 each. I bought two just in case one did not work. I've had them for years and both are working and both have been taken deeper than 60 feet.

What brand is yours? Thinking about grabbing some cheap Casio. Nearly all of them are okay to use at depth (often far deeper than I'll be going) but say that while snorkeling with it is okay, scuba diving is not. My only concern is that while short dives might be okay, longer dives in rapid succession might not be (that's why I threw in how long the dives will be in my edit).

For example:

Amazon.com: Casio Women's LW201-1AV Digital Alarm Chronograph Watch: Casio: Watches

I have good luck with Armitrons...<$20 at Walmart. Mines about 2 years old, dunno how many dives though. I use it mostly for shore diving which are in the 60-80 minute ballpark <30'

The Casio G-Shocks are bullet proof. Get a watch that is rated to 200 meters and you will be good for any recreational diving. 200 meters is considered the minimum standard for a dive watch for water resistance. There is a rating system for water resistance of watches but I can not recall what it is.

Couple ones pop into my head immediately.

Timex Ironman Classic ~$30 from amazon or elsewhere (Used one for years until I got into tech diving)
Timex Helix Dive Watch - Original ~$50 new; now ~$90 new if you can find one; ~$30 used in good shape

Two others that I've seen divers wear - OHSEN ~$9 and Mudder ~$14. Mudder looks a lot like the Ironman, same buttons and layout pretty much. Mudder says "waterproof" vs. "resistant" though to 5ATM

Couple ones pop into my head immediately.

Timex Ironman Classic ~$30 from amazon or elsewhere (Used one for years until I got into tech diving)
Timex Helix Dive Watch - Original ~$50 new; now ~$90 new if you can find one; ~$30 used in good shape

Two others that I've seen divers wear - OHSEN ~$9 and Mudder ~$14. Mudder looks a lot like the Ironman, same buttons and layout pretty much. Mudder says "waterproof" vs. "resistant" though to 5ATM

Is this the Oshen that you were talking about?

http://www.amazon.com/Mudder-Waterp...r=1-2&nodeID=7141123011&keywords=mudder+watch

And is this the Timex Ironman Classic you were talking about?

http://www.amazon.com/Timex-T5K8219...eID=7141123011&keywords=timex+ironman+classic

I'm leaning towards the Mudder just because it's the cheapest, but it sounds like you don't have any personal experience with it, correct? You just had seen a lot of divers use it?

How many dives did you make with the Timex Ironman Classic? How deep? How long?

I appreciate the help everyone.

but say that while snorkeling with it is okay, scuba diving is not.

These are not super reliable ratings. You need to get a 200m rating to start getting "officially" a watch rated for scuba, but for what you are describing, you can get by with a lesser rated watch.

Why do you need to know the time of day during a dive?

Is this the Oshen that you were talking about?

And is this the Timex Ironman Classic you were talking about?

I'm leaning towards the Mudder just because it's the cheapest, but it sounds like you don't have any personal experience with it, correct? You just had seen a lot of divers use it?

How many dives did you make with the Timex Ironman Classic? How deep? How long?

Yep and Yep to both questions.

Had the Ironman for 4 or 5 years before the band broke and some of the coating started to peel away. It still works, I just put a cheap band on it but haven't used it for diving since because I got a dive computer.

Figure couple hundred shallow warm water dives - maybe as deep as 60 ft.

Get a cheap digital from target or walmart, it will do the job fine.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom