Siren Fleet ; concerns and questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Indeed an interesting topic, is it that they are growing too fast and cutting corners? are they hiring inexperienced crew? why is all this bad luck specifically happening to Siren? other rumours circulating are that they might be sinking their boats on purpose for insurance... and recently it seems they had yet another problem with the Fiji Siren... It does make you question what is going on. The boats are nicely done but I think I need to start looking at alternatives...

Indeed an interesting topic, is it that they are growing too fast and cutting corners? are they hiring inexperienced crew? why is all this bad luck specifically happening to Siren? other rumours circulating are that they might be sinking their boats on purpose for insurance... and recently it seems they had yet another problem with the Fiji Siren... It does make you question what is going on. The boats are nicely done but I think I need to start looking at alternatives...
I have heard some rumours as well but do not believe that there is any conspiracy afoot. IMO, WWD&S run things differently from most other Liveaboard charters and decided at an early stage to woo the semi-pro group market. That is up to their management but in doing so they fell short of skills required to look after individual divers and couples.

I know that a lot of posters here have mentioned that they had a "great time" on a Siren Cruise. Fine, but please remember that for the amount of money most charters charge, everything is supposed to be first class all the time, especially the service and facilities. We are not talking about unexpected mishaps or malfunctions but how the crew conduct themselves in looking after the guests and with each other. When I went on the Philippine Siren, they did NOT conduct themselves in a friendly manner and (with the exception of our divemaster and the chef) were impersonal, cold and unhelpful. I have been on 20 liveaboard trips to date and my overall experience on the Philippne Siren was unquestionably the worst. That was my first and last Siren.

and recently it seems they had yet another problem with the Fiji Siren... It does make you question what is going on. The boats are nicely done but I think I need to start looking at alternatives...

The problem in Fiji was the big ass cyclone that just rammed through the country!

The Fiji Siren crew actually did a fabulous job manoeuvring the yacht off her designated storm mooring onto a sheltered beach to ensure she was even better protected as the cyclone raged through. I understand there was some superficial damage and a few trips were cancelled in order for the boat to be brought back to the 1st class specification that guests should expect. I fail to see how damage sustained during a cyclone could be construed as an insurance job or an indication the company has grown too fast. The Fiji Siren crew and operations team are highly experienced and managed the situation very well with all guests moved to land or evacuated prior to the cyclone. When I was aboard in Apr 2014 the crew was one of the best I'd ever had and did everything possible to ensure we had a fabulous trip despite the poor weather conditions we experienced.

Last edited:
I have been on 20 liveaboard trips to date and my overall experience on the Philippne Siren was unquestionably the worst. That was my first and last Siren.

A shame that your trip, when was it by the way?, was such a poor reflection of the Siren crews and its put you off for life. But I do appreciate that when there is so much choice and Siren was not great then you'd not wish to chance it.

I was on Philippine Siren in July 2015 and saw no tensions between the crew nor experienced any coldness from them. It could be that the crew have been changed out since your trip or just have learned to be better. Comparatively to the Indo Siren and Fiji Siren crews they were less fun and chatty with guests but they still were helpful, friendly and professional. They appeared to work hard and keep the boat clean and well maintained. Our chef always gave fun presentations for the evening meal and the housekeeper Maureen was lovely as ever (she's been working on board since 2009) I'm booked to go back in Jul/Aug this year - can't wait!

Back
Top Bottom