Cavern And Intro Cave Course Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm considering taking an intro cavern course. I know for a long time Johnny was considered one of the best instructors out there. While the older reviews of Johnny's classes look great, I haven't seen many other reviews from he left the NACD. Is he still generally well regarded by students and other instructors, in particular by those familiar with what happened?

Edit: It might be best to respond via PM if you have thoughts on this.

Last edited:
I'm considering taking an intro cavern course. I know for a long time Johnny was considered one of the best instructors out there. While the older reviews of Johnny's classes look great, I haven't seen many other reviews from after his conviction and removal from the NACD. Is he still generally well regarded by students and other instructors? Do people feel safe diving with him?
Dude, Really? If you have a an axe to grind just post under who ever you are instead of having your first post being a poorly disguised attempt at sock puppetry.

I was with him in December. had a great class. in my opinion, he did a good job. he emphasized trim, comfort level. I personally enjoyed it as he wasn't overbearing as some of the instructors I have used

I don't know anything about his dealings with the nacd. with everything going on there, that's a plus

I know little of Johnny's past, but I had an amazing time training under him. He was professional, patient, skillful, knowledgeable, and made sure that everything went smoothly as possible. Even after the diving when we would go over the academics and exams he relaxed and made us feel comfortable. I have ZERO complaints about him or his course.

Johnny still teaches cave classes - all I hear are positive things about the conduct of his cavern and cave classes. If he ends up being your choice you will have a good class, IMO.

I enjoyed reading the class report. Thanks for posting it.

I know little of Johnny's past, but I had an amazing time training under him. He was professional, patient, skillful, knowledgeable, and made sure that everything went smoothly as possible. Even after the diving when we would go over the academics and exams he relaxed and made us feel comfortable. I have ZERO complaints about him or his course.

Johnny Richards is one of the best instructors I have had. I took cavern with him in sidemount (just after the NACD debacle a few years back) due to his excellent reviews and reputation for failing students. He is very professional, teaches what matters, and shares his wealth of cave diving experience. Intro to full cave I took with an instructor who specializes in sidemount. In backmount, it would have been a no brainer to continue with Johnny.

My son and I took cavern and intro with Johnny several years ago. We struggled. Made us much better divers. Time well spent with a great instructor.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom