Key Largo Six Pack Dive Shops ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ccx2

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Anyone know of a good dive outfit in Key Largo that does six pack two tank dives with a dive master leading the dives? I'm going for a week by myself and won't have a buddy and would like this kind of dive service where we follow the dive master that knows the site well. Just want to dive the 45' reef dives in general. Thanks for some help.

Thanks muzikbiz22 i will check those out.
Anyone else have some suggestions? I know a lot of the dive shops are more what I've heard referred to as "Cattle Boats" in that they get you to the dive site and tell you a little about it and then you are on your own with about twenty other divers and thats not what I'm looking for. Thanks for anymore suggestions.

Thanks muzikbiz22 i will check those out.
Anyone else have some suggestions? I know a lot of the dive shops are more what I've heard referred to as "Cattle Boats" in that they get you to the dive site and tell you a little about it and then you are on your own with about twenty other divers and thats not what I'm looking for. Thanks for anymore suggestions.

I don't see the issue as so black and white. Some dive ops have both large boats and small boats. A large boat can be an advantage in rougher weather. A large boat can be more comfortable. Just because the boat can accommodate more divers does not mean the dive op crams divers in. If your goal is to avoid the dreaded "cattle boat," where some divers get the feeling the dive op is herding them like cattle, you might get better answers if you just ask which dive ops people don't consider cattle boat operations. That said, some dive ops specialize in small "six pack" boats and guarantee no more than six divers to a boat. Some divers are adamant that's what they want, no matter what. Quiescence is six packs. But that doesn't mean you will necessarily feel crowded or herded like cattle if you go out with, say, Rainbow Reef, Conch Republic, or others. They get great reviews.

As for having a divemaster leading the way, just about every dive op offers private divemasters/guides you can hire. Well worth it. So I wouldn't rule out a dive op just because they don't offer a divemaster/guide for the whole group as part of the standard package.

Quiesence is 6-pack only. No more than 6 divers on the boat. They do not put a dive master in the water as part of the price. Don't know about Silent World. Quiesence is my "go to" shop in Key Largo. Note this, because you asked for Key Largo and some other truly great shops, like Conch Republic, do not have comparable access to the sites in John Pennekamp park because the shops are farther south.

Quiesence has nice size boats. 30 foot newtons. A superb loading system where you sit on the transom with your feet on the dive platform, the capt lifts up your tank onto a ledge behind you, so you just slip in to your gear and step off. No getting up and down or shuffling around with fins on. Just the greatest! It is the total opposite of the cattle boat experience.

I forgot also, they have tremendous ladders, very wide, big diamater bars and rungs that are easy to grab and hold on to, rungs wrapped with rope for no friction. You go up, step on the platform, spin and sit on transom and unbuckle. Capt holds your gear off and by the time you slide out and step into the boat it is already racked up. They will switch you over also, and they know about bp/wings and how to switch them out. You can do your own gear if you want, just tell them.

However, if you want an in-water guide you will have to hire one, which you can do through them.

Last edited:
I liked Rainbow Reef in Key Largo. It wasn't a six pack, but we were divided up into smaller groups (our group had more advanced quals/more dives) and the dive guide (Jenny?) was wonderful. I went by myself, so I ended up buddying with her.

I do like the setup described by guyharrisonphoto, though. You sit, put on your gear at the transom, then take one big step into the ocean. That's how I dove for most of my dives. This whole business of walking to the entry point with all your gear on was a little to awkward for me, the first couple of times I had to do it. :-D

Key Largo Dive center has the roomiest 6 pack in the Keys. I've been on their boat often and they do provide a guide.

If you know what you want, I wouldn't dissuade you. You've received some good recommendations, but...I'm with Zoid. It's about the dive op more than the boat. I've been on "six-packs" that felt like a phone booth and big Newtons (and Corinthians) that felt like the Tardis (man, you could spread waaaaaay out, if you had a mind to). Same goes for the crew, service, and attention to detail. It ain't always the size of the boat, it's the motion in the ocean ( I can say that in here, can't I??). Have fun. :)

+1 for Silent World. Most places will offer you the option of guided dives even if their default package doesn't come that way.

Anyone know of a good dive outfit in Key Largo that does six pack two tank dives with a dive master leading the dives? I'm going for a week by myself and won't have a buddy and would like this kind of dive service where we follow the dive master that knows the site well. Just want to dive the 45' reef dives in general. Thanks for some help.

Aside from using a bigger boat, Sail Fish Scuba does exactly what you're describing plus the DM/guide shoots photos that are complimentary with the dive. There are usually snorkelers on board for reef dives, but the logistics seem to work well. Nice folks, and they run a very safe operation from what we've seen over 2 weeks of diving with them in the last year.

Have fun, Key Largo is a blast!

Lance

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom