Key West Conditions, April 2016

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BFRedrocks

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey Guys, sorry for yet another one of those threads, but my wife is concerned about the conditions in Key West around the middle of April, specifically, the water temperature as she is "thermally challenged." Could you please let me know the water temps around that time of year...we'd be looking at a Vandenberg trip and some reef dives.

Thanks!

76-80. Maybe cooler at depth on the Vandy.

On 3/20, 80 degrees at 107' on the Busch (30 miles east).

This thread makes me want to drive south and west and hop into the water - here the temp is still 73ish!! I miss the Vandy!

GOPR0372.JPG And the Vandy misses you! Come help! Get me outta here!

My computer says it was 77 inside the Vandy on Sunday (3/20). First neoprene-free dive of the year. Felt good!

My computer says it was 77 inside the Vandy on Sunday (3/20). First neoprene-free dive of the year. Felt good!

Sounds good to me...looking forward to diving this in a few weeks. Thanks for the updates!

Without opening up a can of worms and getting all advertising and political, is there a "best" dive shop to use that is the easiest to rent some equipment from and do a couple days of diving with, including the Vandy?

Where are you staying? Are you looking at renting some, most, or all of your equipment? Do either of you need (or want) a prescription mask? Will you want a guide?

We're staying at the Waldorf I think, but we'll probably have a car. I will be bringing all my own gear, but I think my wife will only have her exposure suit, reg, and mask with her (will need BC and fins). The plan right now is that I'll dive by myself (with a boat group I'm assuming) in the mornings, and my wife will join me in the afternoons.

If you're staying at a Waldorf, you'll be either at the Casa Marina or The Reach. I don't think any of the shops runs a shuttle, so both will require you drive or taxi to the shop you'll use. You might want to call and see if you can leave your gear with the shop you chose rather than having to haul it around.

I am not personally familiar with all of the dive shops on Key West, but I have personally dived with three of the shops currently operating in Key West. http://www.captainscorner.com/ , Scuba Diving Key West, Florida - Lost Reef Adventures and Welcome to Southpoint Divers Key West Dive Shop and Scuba Adventures | Southpoint Divers Key West Dive Shop and Scuba Adventures. All three are in the historic seaport area. They all run good, safe operations. Southpoint is a little more conservative than the other two. Lost Reef is the only one I know of that rents prescription masks. Lost Reef and (I think) Captain's Corner will work with you if you are a tech diver and let them know ahead of time. All three will kick you to the curb in a hurry if you go into deco otherwise. Check out their websites and give them a call to see who you would be most comfortable with. I don't know about the other two, but Lost Reef sets the destination based on what the first person booking asks for. Chances are you'll do the Vandenberg in the morning (conditions permitting) and a couple of reefs in the afternoon.

My wife is an instructor at Lost Reef, so obviously I have a vested interest in you diving with them, but chose who you and your wife feel most comfortable with.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom