Shore diving Big Island with spouse with bad back

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

webbah

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
We'll be there in late April and would like to do some shore diving. My wife has a bad back that prohibits her from being able to help carry gear around, and a long walk from gear-up location to entry point, etc. Her back is great once she is in the water but that means I have to lug tanks, weights, etc. from the car near to the entry point.

My question is - what dive sites sound suitable for this scenario? Sounds like Two Step is a good one and a must anyway. We are staying in Kona so anything on that side of the island is an option.

Thanks in advance!

Mahukona is a good dive 45 minutes north of Kona, access doesn't get much easier. Open car door, fall in water. Kailua pier on the north end of Ali'I drive in Kona is also very easy access.

Dave

Miloli'i Village in the south is as easy as Mahukona in the north. If you don't mind 2 trips to the car with your gear and hers, then Alula Beach has an easy entrance from a sand beach. Same goes for Hookena in the south, if they opened it finally.

Google Maps
Hapuna Beach, just north of Puako. Easy sandy entry/exit with showers, parking close to the beach and a snack bar. You could walk in the water with your wife's gear and put it on her there.

We'll be there in late April and would like to do some shore diving. My wife has a bad back that prohibits her from being able to help carry gear around, and a long walk from gear-up location to entry point, etc. Her back is great once she is in the water but that means I have to lug tanks, weights, etc. from the car near to the entry point.

My question is - what dive sites sound suitable for this scenario? Sounds like Two Step is a good one and a must anyway. We are staying in Kona so anything on that side of the island is an option.

Thanks in advance!

You've gotten some good advice, and sorry for the late reply. As a dedicated shore diver my reply may surprise you:

Please consider boat diving if you do not feel that your wife can support the weight of a tank on her back on dry land.

Even Mahukona will require her to climb up a short ladder with scuba gear on. Or, you'll need to get the rig in and out of the water for her, then go grab your own. Most of the shore dives (which are numerous and awesome) will require some walking with gear, and entry/exit points that can be subject to mild wave action / surge, are rocky or lava shelves, etc.

Boat diving will be safer for her (and for your back too)!

Best wishes.

So most of my shore diving is the northwest of the island, so I agree with Mahukona, easy cute dive with a ladder to get out.

I like Puako Village end. Pretty close to entry, especially on week days. Near there is an access to the beach off of Puako Beach Dr., if memory serves me right it was at 41 Puako Beach Dr. The trick for this dive is that it gets really shallow so it is hard to walk with gear on--so don't. Take the gear off in deep enough water to inflate and float the bcd, shallow enough to walk and tow it like a wagon until a) you put it on in the water or b) lift to get it out of the water.

Gosh everyone - sorry for no further reply. I didn't even think anyone was responding because my alerts were set wrong.

Anyway - thanks for all of the thoughtful replies. And yes Leadturn - we will definitely be doing some boat diving but like to save a few $$ and the nice pace with our own picnic on a shore dive. As long as I can get her gear to the water - we should be fine.

Gosh everyone - sorry for no further reply. I didn't even think anyone was responding because my alerts were set wrong.

Anyway - thanks for all of the thoughtful replies. And yes Leadturn - we will definitely be doing some boat diving but like to save a few $$ and the nice pace with our own picnic on a shore dive. As long as I can get her gear to the water - we should be fine.

Even Mahukona will require her to climb up a short ladder with scuba gear on. ...

Boat diving will be safer for her (and for your back too)!

Best wishes.
A loving husband will lift her gear off water so she can climb the ladder with only her wet suit on. Why would a boat be any better (especially, considering Hawaiian surf) than Mahukona is beyond my imagination. Unless the boat is equipped with some kind of lift or crane, of course.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom