Northern Channel Islands - Spring Break Trip W/ Truth Aquatics

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

elgoog

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I went on a 3 day trip (3/24-26) to the Northern Channel Islands with Truth Aquatics last week. It was scheduled to be on the Vision but was transferred to the Conception due to mechanical issues (the boats are practically identical). It was a very light load with only 15 divers on board and 6 crew. It was my first liveaboard experience and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I'll echo all the recommendations for Truth Aquatics - they are a first rate operation and I would recommend this trip to everyone who wants to dive CA.

Wifebuddy and I were supposed to dive together but a week before the trip, she had to cancel. Truth Aquatics was very accommodating and transferred her deposit to my balance as well as letting me keep the double bunk.
I drove down from the SF Bay area to Santa Barbara the day before and spent the night on the boat. The double bunks are stacked 2 high and the single bunks 3 high - if you book early enough and have a choice, I would suggest the upper or middle bunks as you'll need a pretty good tuck and roll to get into the lower ones.
IMG_20160326_151749.jpg
The bunks are vinyl covered foam mattress with a pillow and a blanket - you will need to bring your own sheet for comfort. Also, there's next to no storage in the bunk room beyond a couple of hooks to hang stuff from. Other than dive gear, try to have no more than a backpack because you'll have to store it in your bunk.

The common area has about 6 tables which easily seat 6 each. The galley is compact but the crew prepared some amazing meals in there. There's a bunch of different soft drinks and water on tap. There were 3 hot meals a day (breakfast at 8, lunch at noon, dinner at 6) with snacks and fruit set out all day long. Oh, and a plate of bacon after practically every dive :)

The dive deck has a large central table with tank racks on it's side. It's flanked by 2 benches that you will use to get in and out of your rig. Bring a large mesh bag to put your dive equipment on top of the table for the duration of the trip. They have long whips and your tanks are filled in place. EAN32 is $6 a fill and they consistently filled my HP100 to 3000-3100psi. If you're renting a tank from their dive shop, an LP steel might be a good idea as they fill those to 3000psi as well (they have LP95s for rent which will give you ~107cu.ft of gas)
IMG_20160326_152004.jpg
There's hot saltwater hoses for those diving in wetsuits as well as fresh water showers to rinse.
There's a gate on each side of the boat where you can giant stride from (it's about a 6ft drop down to the water). Or you can use the swim platform in the back.
If there's one thing about the boat I would change, it would be that darn swim platform. You have to use it to get back on and after 3 days of multiple dives, my knees were ground up pretty good. Even with calm seas, I didn't particularly enjoy it - there isn't much to hold on to when you have to get up and off your knees, I ended up crawling to the steps.
The dive windows were usually 8-noon and 2-6 with a night dive after dinner. Sometimes we did 2 dives at the same site or a short move within the window. During lunch, there was a longer transit to a slightly farther dive site.

We did all our dives at Santa Cruz Island - water temps were in the 53-59F range and it was bright and sunny topside. There was some current on all the sites but easily manageable. Surge was a bigger factor for me and there were a couple of occasions where I had to work pretty hard when I got tossed around. Viz tended to be in the 30-40ft range.
The conditions that week were pretty rough with a strong NW swell on almost all the days, 8-12ft combined seas. There was a gale warning a couple of days before the trip and a small craft advisory during. Consequently, we stayed on the sheltered south and east side of the island in the protected coves. Even with this limitation, the captain found us a good variety of sites although they were quite shallow (70ft max).

These were the sites we dove -
Fry's Cove
Coches Prietos East
Coches Prietos West
Albert's Anchorage
Blue Banks Anchorage
Todd's Rock
Hungryman's Anchorage

My GoPro skills are pretty subpar - I didn't get too many photos that passed muster.
G0011188.JPG G0031232.JPG G0041267.JPG G0071332.JPG

I really like the Truth boats. You should go on one of the Big Sur trips in June. They board out of Morro Bay.

Did you get to see any sea lions? I was on a day trip recently on the Peace that was supposed to hit Anacapa but we went to Santa Cruz instead. I was disappointed by the lack of sea lions but I did see about 1 zillion trillion billion brittle stars on those dives. :) I think I was on the other side of the island as you though - we went to San Pedro Point, Scorpion Wall, and Little Scorpion.

Thanks for the trip report, I love reading those.

Thanks for sharing. Especially the practical details of life on the boat, & getting in & out of the ocean. Lord willing & providing, I'm booked on a Southern Channel Islands trip later this summer, which leads to a question.

Both Northern & Southern Channel Islands trips seem popular, with good diving. The Southern offer slightly warmer temp.s, which in cold water diving is a good thing. What led you to choose the Northern trip? Just curious how people discriminate between options to reach a decision.

Richard.

Did you get to see any sea lions?
I saw a couple of harbor seals during the dive at Hungryman's but no sea lions underwater. There were plenty of them around, we saw dozens playing on the surface while we were on the boat.

What led you to choose the Northern trip?
The timing of the trip worked out as we wanted to go early in the year. Also, I wanted to do a relatively shorter liveaboard and this one fit the bill. I didn't specifically have a preference in terms of location - I am now looking at possibly doing the Southern Islands trip this summer as well.
Let me know if you have any specific questions for your trip - my first post was kinda haphazard and I'm sure there's stuff I've missed.

Thanks for sharing. Especially the practical details of life on the boat, & getting in & out of the ocean. Lord willing & providing, I'm booked on a Southern Channel Islands trip later this summer, which leads to a question.

Both Northern & Southern Channel Islands trips seem popular, with good diving. The Southern offer slightly warmer temp.s, which in cold water diving is a good thing. What led you to choose the Northern trip? Just curious how people discriminate between options to reach a decision.

Richard.

The Northern Islands typically have lower viz and cooler temps, but more varied marine life. The Southern Islands (Catalina and San Clemente) vary quite a bit from them. Clemente can be beautiful and Catalina is in the throws of a horrendous growth of sargassum (invasive seaweed) that is covering most of the structure. My choice for multiday trips would always be the Northern Islands. If you can get to Santa Barbara Island (which is kind of in between the two ) on either trip- you will have more sea lions than you can count.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom