Shane Thompson

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Prayers for the friends and family...especially for the team!!
Tough memories, both good and bad..will certainly linger

That's such terrible news. :*( The level of professional technique for that kind of dive is definitely impressive and awe-inspiring (as the other poster said). Our sympathies to Shane's family, friends, and the team that was involved. He was a good guy to know.

Everyone is still in shock over Shanes' death. Shane was a great friend, competent diver and all around good guy. I met Shane in 2004 while diving at La Jolla Shores, we remained friends over the years. When Steve Donathan passed Shane finished the training I had begun with Steve for free. Shane was always there for a friend in need. We shared many awesome dives together, many late nights at the local watering hole and many great times aboard his boat. Some of my favorite memories of Shane are: diving La Jolla Shores at night at around 160' when a Torpedo Ray latched onto his head and shocked the crap out of him, running out of gas (boat fuel) and having to use oars to paddle back to shore at Lake Mead, that one night at Guava Beach where there were too many margaritas and a few of us hatched a plan to right the Yukon. RIP buddy

-Tyler

Reactions: mdb
The "right the Yukon" night was 3 years ago yesterday.

I'm definitely still in shock. Shane was a wonderful, vibrant person and a very skilled diver. We'd recently made plans to step up my diving together, and I was thrilled at the prospect of jumping on board with such an experienced mentor.

He will be dearly missed.

Everyone is still in shock over Shanes' death. Shane was a great friend, competent diver and all around good guy. I met Shane in 2004 while diving at La Jolla Shores, we remained friends over the years. When Steve Donathan passed Shane finished the training I had begun with Steve for free. Shane was always there for a friend in need. We shared many awesome dives together, many late nights at the local watering hole and many great times aboard his boat. Some of my favorite memories of Shane are: diving La Jolla Shores at night at around 160' when a Torpedo Ray latched onto his head and shocked the crap out of him, running out of gas (boat fuel) and having to use oars to paddle back to shore at Lake Mead, that one night at Guava Beach where there were too many margaritas and a few of us hatched a plan to right the Yukon. RIP buddy

-Tyler

I've only known Shane for a few months now, I'd been looking for a local technical diving instructor and found him. Even in that short amount of time, it was easy to tell what a great person and wonderful mentor that he was. We were planning on diving this coming week and I am sure that he will be missed by many and not just me. My prayers and condolences to his family. Goodbye Shane, I'll see you again.

My god.....Shane and I were having so much great laughs on the liveaboard trip a few weeks ago....now he is gone.....

Shane searched and recovered my husband, Jeff's, body in 175 feet when the city of LaJolla ran out of funds. Shane is our hero & we are devastated by the news of his passing. It is a truly sad event and our family is forever grateful for Shane's ability to share his skill set with others because "you can." The May Family

Diver's Wife Shares Emotional Message With 10News

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    104.7 KB · Views: 544
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    86.4 KB · Views: 307
I had the privilege to know shane. He was the best diver I ever knew. He needed a freighter to carry his balls on the dives he did on a regular basis. A very kind, humble man always willing to help and share his knowledge. He will be missed.
I hope u r in a better place my friend.

It is with a heavy heart that I say good bye to Shane Thompson, I met him over 20 years ago in Yokosuka Japan and I was his Open Water Instructor who certified him as a diver, and then as a Dive master, and finally I saw him through his PADI instructor training program. He was an incredible diver, instructor and friend and our community will be a bit emptier without him.

I met Shane in 2000 when I was back home from a offshore hitch. We were working on a Salvage job together when my appendix started to rupture Underwater . Shane got me out of the water and stayed with me through the surgery. Afterward he stopped by every couple of days to check on me.
We became friends and to get a 6am phone call that he had passed was just heart wrenching. I will miss you my brother you saved my life. Wish I could have done the same... Rip
Vic

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom