Big Island Vs Maui For Shallow Dive With Snorklers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bgsnmky

Registered
Reaction score
Decided to create my own thread so I don't overtake Erics who just started one too but just for Maui!

I am really struggling between these two islands and which one to do a shallow Dive.
A few things about us and the trip:
We are traveling to 3 islands Maui, (4 or 5 nights) Big Island (6 or 7 nights) and then Kauai 6 or 7 nights)

On the BI - We are going to do the Manta Snorkel (or dive)..we are ok just doing the snorkel to be with the other two people. (or are we crazy for not doing the dive)!

On Maui - we are going to Molokini - but were planning on the Redline Raft trip and thought we would just snorkel.

And of course we will snorkel lots of other times.

2 Of us are certified (but NEW - only 3 dives for one person) and 2 are not (it is possible they MIGHT do the discover scuba but not sure - so want to research and plan for them joining us snorkeling)

WE would like to dive at least once while we are there.

I have searched this board to see if people like Maui or BI better for shallow dives but most posts seemed old or I didn't search right.

Looking at fitting in the dive in either Maui or BI. (as I have heard Kauai is not as good except for the Niihau island and I don't want to see sharks! and heard you have a good chance).

Both are packed agenda's so it isn't like it is easier to dive in one location vs the other as far as time.
Both I will have to watch the altitude.
Maui mainly once flying out..(I was trying to have 24 hours before flying - even if shallow).
Big Island - need to watch the crossing over the island and doing some hiking etc.

So trying to determine if there is something else that can help push me to dive at one island vs another.

- Do you believe that one island is better for Shallow dives vs another.
(I had someone on TripAdvisor who lives on the BI - say that she thought that shallow dives were not as good as the deeper dives on the BI).
- If you could just dive one place - suggestions?
- shore or boat trip?
- operators that you would suggest
- or I have read on here about hiring an instructor/dive master etc.

We are staying on Maui - Upcountry 1 night and traveling then to West area near Kapalua

BI as of now we are staying Kailua Kona but am trying to move up north to Kohala (but probably won't due to not getting timeshare).

(Sorry if rambling)

On the big island there are plenty of shallow dives, boat or shore. From South of Kona up through Kohala there are dozens of sites. I've only done a few dive on Maui, so can't really speak to options there.

Dave

Both of the places you said you would snorkel I would recommend diving those instead and just snorkel in some routine places off the beach. Both of your snorkel sites are prime dives. Maui has a ton of good walk into the water snorkelling spots. Black Rock comes to mind if you want lots of turtles. You won't have a hard time finding snorkeling in Maui, you can also shore dive easily in Maui.

On the BI - We are going to do the Manta Snorkel (or dive)..we are ok just doing the snorkel to be with the other two people. (or are we crazy for not doing the dive)!

Both are packed agenda's so it isn't like it is easier to dive in one location vs the other as far as time.
Both I will have to watch the altitude.
Big Island - need to watch the crossing over the island and doing some hiking etc.
BI as of now we are staying Kailua Kona but am trying to move up north to Kohala (but probably won't due to not getting timeshare).

As a diver, I did the Manta Ray Night SNORKEL because of who I was with. Tried to imagine at the time if the dive would have been better. Think the only difference is you're going to see the rays coming down as opposed to up. Not a big difference to me. There will be many more snorkelers than divers, so more crowded at surface. Still I got great pictures and video at the surface. Diving has you pretty much resting on the bottom; not really a dive as you basically stay in one place. You also will save about $30 a person by snorkeling. Don't think you get anything better by diving.

Regarding depth, I spent a week on the Big Island a couple of years ago (sorry I can't compare it with Maui) and out of 6 dives (3 days) the depth ranged from 58 - 80 feet.

Did diving and manta ray snorkel with Jack's Diving Locker right there in Kailua Kona - they have a nice shop. Was very satisfied with the crews of each.

Crossing the island shouldn't really be a problem. Would expect that your crossing of the island and hiking will be a day of its own (no diving on that day.) If you dive the day before and you surface on your last dive at 12 noon, that will give you about 17-18 hours of surface time, if you so chose to cross the island the next day; plenty of time to decompress. Of course if you choose to go up before doing your dives, there's not a problem.

BTW, we stayed at the Wyndham Kona Hawaiian Resort with our timeshare and loved it (except for a big spider that showed up in our bedroom!) Have fun.

I've done the manta rays both ways and the only real benefit to diving as opposed to snorkeling is the # of people around you. The last time we did it there were 100 +/- snorkelers and 3 divers. I personally prefer to snorkel it. There are many sites that are 30-50 fsw. If you are interested I would willing to show you some of my local spots.
Dave

(as I have heard Kauai is not as good except for the Niihau island and I don't want to see sharks! and heard you have a good chance).

We are staying on Maui - Upcountry 1 night and traveling then to West area near Kapalua

Koloa Landing on Kauai is a great shore dive. It has a very easy entry and there are lots of fish and turtles to see. You won't be disappointed.

On Maui, Airport Beach is an easy entry shore dive that has lots of fish and some turtles. I have snorkeled all the beaches in the Kaanapali to Kapalua area and they all have lots to see. If you are an adventurous person, sign up for the Backwall of Molokini and the backside of Lanai with Lahaina Divers.

Both of the places you said you would snorkel I would recommend diving those instead and just snorkel in some routine places off the beach. Both of your snorkel sites are prime dives. Maui has a ton of good walk into the water snorkelling spots. Black Rock comes to mind if you want lots of turtles. You won't have a hard time finding snorkeling in Maui, you can also shore dive easily in Maui.

When I was reading about molokini and diving - I didn't want to go deep and it seems like the back wall the divers go deep. (I know ti is just a mental thing for me, but prefer to be shallower - even tho you really don't even know it when you are down in the water :) AS one person said here if you are adventurous - sign yup for back wall of Molokini...we are NOT adventurous divers. Too new.

Unless a dive shop would have a dive master that would stay with the two of us shallower (I would probably have to pay for that - i doubt a discover scuba class staying shallow would go to monokini would they?)

Last edited:
As a diver, I did the Manta Ray Night SNORKEL because of who I was with. Tried to imagine at the time if the dive would have been better. Think the only difference is you're going to see the rays coming down as opposed to up. Not a big difference to me. There will be many more snorkelers than divers, so more crowded at surface. Still I got great pictures and video at the surface. Diving has you pretty much resting on the bottom; not really a dive as you basically stay in one place. You also will save about $30 a person by snorkeling. Don't think you get anything better by diving.

Regarding depth, I spent a week on the Big Island a couple of years ago (sorry I can't compare it with Maui) and out of 6 dives (3 days) the depth ranged from 58 - 80 feet.

Did diving and manta ray snorkel with Jack's Diving Locker right there in Kailua Kona - they have a nice shop. Was very satisfied with the crews of each.

Crossing the island shouldn't really be a problem. Would expect that your crossing of the island and hiking will be a day of its own (no diving on that day.) If you dive the day before and you surface on your last dive at 12 noon, that will give you about 17-18 hours of surface time, if you so chose to cross the island the next day; plenty of time to decompress. Of course if you choose to go up before doing your dives, there's not a problem.

BTW, we stayed at the Wyndham Kona Hawaiian Resort with our timeshare and loved it (except for a big spider that showed up in our bedroom!) Have fun.
THANKS. I figure I have about 3 days to choose to dive based on how many days etc not to worry about the altitude.

Not sure why the person on Trip Advisor said she thought there was not good shallow dives on the BI.

I've done the manta rays both ways and the only real benefit to diving as opposed to snorkeling is the # of people around you. The last time we did it there were 100 +/- snorkelers and 3 divers. I personally prefer to snorkel it. There are many sites that are 30-50 fsw. If you are interested I would willing to show you some of my local spots.
Dave
-- Thanks to you both on the SNORKEL the Manta's as I keep going back and forth - like am I stupid for not diving it. Dave - when you say you would be wiling to show me your spots...I would love to hear more.

Koloa Landing on Kauai is a great shore dive. It has a very easy entry and there are lots of fish and turtles to see. You won't be disappointed.

On Maui, Airport Beach is an easy entry shore dive that has lots of fish and some turtles. I have snorkeled all the beaches in the Kaanapali to Kapalua area and they all have lots to see. If you are an adventurous person, sign up for the Backwall of Molokini and the backside of Lanai with Lahaina Divers.

seems like there is a lot of dives on maui for shore dives. JUST need to decide if I can confirm shallow dives for my snorkelers on the BIG Island and that we can stay shallow. The dive shops I talked to say they decide ON the the day of the dive. So I don't like that as they could pick a 100 foot dive. I like the 30 to 50!

I had not thought of diving on Kauai but I will keep this on the list. thank you.

When I was reading about molokini and diving - I didn't want to go deep and it seems like the back wall the divers go deep. (I know ti is just a mental thing for me, but prefer to be shallower - even tho you really don't even know it when you are down in the water :) AS one person said here if you are adventurous - sign yup for back wall of Molokini...we are NOT adventurous divers. Too new.

Unless a dive shop would have a dive master that would stay with the two of us shallower (I would probably have to pay for that - i doubt a discover scuba class staying shallow would go to monokini would they?)

Back side is more of an advanced dive, the front side of Molokini is shallow and tamer.

Back
Top Bottom