Roll call: Any old NASDS divers out there?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NASDS 1981 at Herbs Dive Shop Daytona Beach. Now SSi

The Dive Shop NASDS Basic 1973 Open Water Diver 1975 San Diego Instructor Clinic March 1976 OWIP 1392 Later attended Gold Book Seminar in Pensacola , Fl.
It is very unfortunate tha NASDS ended the way they did. I sold my dive shop in Ardmore , OK IN 1985.
I signed my wife up for a dive class today at a NAUI store. It sure seems that standards have dropped. I am doing a refresher course at the same time ( for her). I can't wait to see their faces when I show up with my 30 year old at-pac and regulator!
kaptken1392
Ft Myers, Fl

NASDS Open Water Certification 1970 from San Diego Divers Supply. Instructor was Dave Forsyth. I still have the NASDS C-Card with the "TIC microfilm" which contained training records, medical info, gear serial #'s and other good stuff. It even has the Duke University Recompression Hotline # on the back and I just called it and it is still a good #!

Fast forward 46 years and I am now taking the PADI OW course with my 16 yr old son. The gear is more modern (of course) and some of the procedures are a bit different, but the basic safety fundamentals are still the same. It also seems that my basic NASDS OW course was a lot more involved than the modern day PADI course.

Last edited:
I think that while NASDS was definitely a pioneer and trend setter, they were too much "my way or the highway". Then you have to realize that not many people wanted to do 10 classroom/pool sessions before doing the 4 OW dives. I cannot believe how relaxed this class my wife will be taking is. She received her books and dive tables and was told she could do all of the classroom work online and just show up for the poolwork with the student book filled out. I know I am a bit anal, but it just seems wrong that this sport is taken so lightly . And of course, "Don't worry about the tables. You will just buy a computer."
I told her to get the c-card, I will teach her the proper habits to dive safely.
kaptken
Ft Myers, Fl

mdb,
Thanks for the post like!

I was certified in 1971 by John Hoynaki "John the Diver" in Branson, MO. AOWI #1188. His wife is still very active in SSI:
Platinum Pro 5000 - Jan Hoynacki

I still have my TIC card (total information card lol). I got my PADI in 1985 because my wife to be was PADI.

Last edited:
My mum was a NASDS instructor in 86' with Adelaide Skin Diving! She still has all of her cards and log books! The books are very different from what PADI gave me when I started!

Also, Mum is going back to do a refresher with PADI and its been about 20 years since she has been in gear... Is there any tips I can give her in regards to how similar PADI is to NASDS?... She's worried that things will be different, I told her they will be, but the principle remains the same... Thank you!

OK, brand new to this forum and using my first post to resurrect a 9 year old thread. Don't ya just love guys like me?

First Certified NASDS by Greg Ballard of Scuba Sciences in PHX (others there Paul Wagonseller, Dan Walsh, Steve Nisky & Dan Bollander)
Attended the NASDS Instructors college in 79 or 80: Instructors were Tony Zimos, Richard "Dick" Hammas and I think Tom Wilson. My number...OWIC 426
Worked at Scuba Sciences, Phx and Tempe; San Diego Divers, La Jolla store only; Aloha Dive Shop, Honolulu; North Country Scuba, Laconia NH

Haven't dove for a while and lost ALL my dive stuff (equipment, C cards, log books...) in a house fire in 2006. Only thing left of my at pac was a mound of reformed lead shot.

I read this thread front to back and really enjoyed all the stories of Tony Z, San Diego Divers, Kevin Murphy, John Gaffney. Thanks for those great memories. Anyone remember diving off the Bottom Scratcher and Sand Dollar dive boats (San Diego) owned by Bill Johnston?

Thanks again for the stroll down memory lane.

I did my certification dives off the Bottom Scratcher.
Still using my NASDS card too. It sure does raise a few eyebrows aviary now and then.
Just getting my gear together as I am flying back down to Utila for about two weeks of seeing old friend that live there and making new friends. Love that little island....been going there since themed-90s.

Back
Top Bottom