Ccr Diver From Ohio Died In Ginnie Springs Today...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

He wasn't solo.

I don't think any assumptions can be made at this time whether it was a problem with the rebreather that prompted the bailout to OC, or whether it was a medical issue that prompted the bailout to OC. Either way it appears bailing out didn't resolve the physical and/or cognitive issues sufficiently to allow the victim to exit.

Last edited:
Very sad. My heart goes out to the family and friends of the diver.

I'm not a CCR diver, but an instructor who was described a CO2 hit she got and it was something like that. She thought her trim was a little off and couldn't figure out why her buoyancy seemed unusually bad, but that was no reason for her teammates trying to give her regulators. Her teammates were watching her bounce off the ceiling and floor and wander all over the place, and kept at it until she bailed out. And they had a lot of gas.

:( Very confusing at this point.

I'm not a CCR diver, but an instructor who was described a CO2 hit she got and it was something like that. She thought her trim was a little off and couldn't figure out why her buoyancy seemed unusually bad, but that was no reason for her teammates trying to give her regulators. Her teammates were watching her bounce off the ceiling and floor and wander all over the place, and kept at it until she bailed out. And they had a lot of gas.
A question for a rebreather diver, please.

I have heard of two procedures: (1) stay on the loop and solve the problem and (2) bail out immediately and solve the problem.

It seems like the "stay on the loop" when one has known good gas, has been cited more than a few times . . . What is the current correct procedure?

It depends on the problem Jax. Staying on the loop with hypercapnia is a fools errand. Staying on the loop with high levels of oxygen or too low of a level of oxygen is not a good thing either. The last two should be resolved with a simple DIL flush but you should already know there's a problem before you get to that point if you're paying attention to your PPO2. Hypercapnia hits you out of nowhere and there is nothing you can do to remedy it underwater, especially if it's from channeling. The unfortunate problem with hypercapnia is that the symptoms vary from diver to diver and there may be no warning signs or the least bit of denial about the warning signs can mask those warning signs. Get off the loop and exit if you're feeling any symptoms.

A couple questions.
Has the name been released yet?
Was the diver male or female?
I have friends from OH who dive CCR.

JCG

It depends on the problem Jax. Staying on the loop with hypercapnia is a fools errand. Staying on the loop with high levels of oxygen or too low of a level of oxygen is not a good thing either. The last two should be resolved with a simple DIL flush but you should already know there's a problem before you get to that point if you're paying attention to your PPO2. Hypercapnia hits you out of nowhere and there is nothing you can do to remedy it underwater, especially if it's from channeling. The unfortunate problem with hypercapnia is that the symptoms vary from diver to diver and there may be no warning signs or the least bit of denial about the warning signs can mask those warning signs. Get off the loop and exit if you're feeling any symptoms.

So basically, if an OC diver sees / finds a CCR diver doing this dizzy / disoriented etc., . . .

[trying to learn something here, so don't go ballistic - you know who you are!]

The OC diver should close the loop if s/he can guess how, get the CCR diver on their OC donate hose, and get the diver the heck to the surface if at all possible. ?

So basically, if an OC diver sees / finds a CCR diver doing this dizzy / disoriented etc., . . .

[trying to learn something here, so don't go ballistic - you know who you are!]

The OC diver should close the loop if s/he can guess how, get the CCR diver on their OC donate hose, and get the diver the heck to the surface if at all possible. ?

If I'm diving rebreather, and my buddy is on OC, (happens often), all of these scenarios & procedures are covered in my brief to that buddy. "If you see me acting behaving oddly or unconscious, flip this lever on my DSV (BOV), and get me to the surface in the same fashion you would rescue an OC diver". If I'm rescuing myself from bad gas/CO2, it's flip the lever on my DSV/BOV to known good gas for a sanity breath or 2, then switch to slung bail out/good gas. "If you as an OC diver come running to me looking for an Octo/yellow 2nd stage thingy, grab "this" reg on my bail out bottle, and we end the dive together". These are all posed as Recreational scenarios.

If I'm diving rebreather, and my buddy is on OC, (happens often), all of these scenarios & procedures are covered in my brief to that buddy. "If you see me acting behaving oddly or unconscious, flip this lever on my DSV (BOV), and get me to the surface in the same fashion you would rescue an OC diver". If I'm rescuing myself from bad gas/CO2, it's flip the lever on my DSV/BOV to known good gas for a sanity breath or 2, then switch to slung bail out/good gas. "If you as an OC diver come running to me looking for an Octo/yellow 2nd stage thingy, grab "this" reg on my bail out bottle, and we end the dive together". These are all posed as Recreational scenarios.
Following NetDoc's musing about hypercania - if someone were in hypercania (is that the right way to say it?), how long would it take to recover after being on OC gas?

Back
Top Bottom