Curacao's best shore dives ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So we are signed up for Klein Curacao as our one boat dive/outing, might add a Mushroom forest/Blue room.

As far as shore dives go we are aiming towards

-Directors Bay

-Vaersebaai

-Playa Jeremi

-Nos Cas aka Habitat house reef

-Playa Largu San Juan area

Any updates on these sites especially Nos Cas?

Has anyone done dive Kayaks off Curacao? Would Mushroom Forest be doable via kayak from Santa Cruz Beach?

Habitat is open for diving. You will have to rent tanks at the diveshop. They don't allow outside tanks.

Kayaks are an option, but not a safe option. If your kayaks drift away or get stolen, its a longgggg swim back. So unless you have somebody staying with the kayaks on the surface i wouldn't advice to do it. Plus the wind is always blowing offshore.

There is a water taxi at santa cruz. He takes you to mushroom forest and if your lucky he will pick you up again. The only problem is that he will leave, while you are in the water. So if something happens during the dive you are screwed.

Better pay more and go with a dive operator.

Thanks for the Habitat update and Mushroom forest advice there Bas. Is there a mooring at Mushroom forest?

Do you have a favorite shore dive or two?

Healthiest reefs?

There are multiple mooring at mushroom forest.

There is one on the south side of mushroom forest, in front of the blue room. The reef start around 20 mtrs away from the mooring and you will have to go north to find mushroom forest. This will force you to start your dive against the current. Watch out on the way back, because if you go to far and surface the cliffs will prevent you from seeing the mooring.

The other one is located on the north edge of mushroom forest and is a lot closer to playa santa cruz. This mooring is on top of mushroom forest. You will have to go south to stay on the reef. The north gets sandy. Unfortunately this means that you have to start your dive going with the current. (99% current goes north to south)

Watch out with the current. Some days there is none and other days it gets spooky.

Mooring sometimes disappear and it can take awhile before they are replaced, so don't blame me if a mooring is not there when you go :). The south mooring is almost always there.

Don't forget you will be sharing the mooring with dive operators.

My personal favorite shore dives are "Largu" and "Hundu". You need to find them and know how to dive them or you will be disappointed. There both easy dive sites, but if you dive them wrong there not as nice as they could be.

Enjoy ur trip!

Just back from my second trip to Curacao, another great adventure! This time we only did shore dives, we had planned to dive Klein Curacao off the Mermaid but flight delays and the 6:45 departure prevented this. Heavy rains cost us one mornings diving as we watched the water turn from azure blue to coffee brown at Playa Grande. Water temps were a consistent 83 degrees and visibility averaged around 60'.

Highlights were a great Turtle encounter at Playa Kalki, exploring the San Juan area dive sites and a couple of spectacular wall dives at Directors Bay. We also saw the Flamingos at St. Willibrordus which are a true wonder of nature.

Here are some notes regarding the shore dive sites we dove.

Directors Bay

This was my buddy Monkeydirt’s favorite dive of the trip. We did two dives here, first left then right. A little tricky to find but we were on good road all the way. Steps lead down to gorgeous little cove with shade trees and benches on a rubble beach.

A very short swim leads to a sand chute which drops off into the abyss. This is a deep wall starting at 15’ and going at least 200’ deep. Almost vertical ridges of plate corals alternate with sand shoots as one goes left along the wall. Wreckage in the form of pipes are abundant from 50 feet on up on the left side. These are the remnants of a shark proofing system set up for the directors of Shell oil who used to swim here. We found Octopus and Squid amongst the wreckage at the end of the dive.

To the right the wall seems to have more contours and crevices. A classic wall dive, we found a huge Green Moray under an overhang at about 70 feet. French angel fish oblivious to our presence, and schools of yellowtail snapper. In shallow there is a rock cove with tons of cup corrals and nice light effects. Best wall dive we did this trip.

Playa Canoa

North side diving is quite challenging with substantial surge and rough entries. We did
Playa Canoa as our advanced adventure dive. There was current on this one as well but nothing major. Entry is at the dilapidated fishing harbor which is in a protected bay. A boat ramp provides easy entry into shallow harbor with poor 3’ visibility. Snorkeling out to where the surf starts we submerged to swim under the 5’+ waves that break into a big cove. People were surfing the far side of the beach while we were here.

Visibility eventually improves as you exit the cove, hardpan with Holly like Algae continues for quite a long way till you reach a small sloping wall leading to a sand bottom at aprx 110’. Following the wall interspersed with Algae and hard corals we saw Queen Trigger and Black Durgon which we did not note seeing on the south side. We did not find sharks which the north side is known for.

Now for the fun part, returning to the cove visibility again declines to about 10’ so we surface to spot the cove entrance. We are at the surfing end of the beach and from our perspective in the water the waves look to be 10’ high. Fortunately we were able to swim back across the surf to the fisherman's bay. With the low vis, big surf and long swim out to the wall, this is truly an advanced dive, Not recommended for the inexperienced or feint of heart. We heard divers had had problems here in the past and there was talk of closing Playa Canoa to diving?

Playa Largu

Playa Largu in the San Juan area was a great adventure. Following dirt roads past a partially restored Landhuis, where an elderly gentleman collects a small entry fee aprox $5, staying left as you go leads to a long abandoned beach. We had a truck but others were exploring the area in cars, even after heavy rains the roads were rough but passable.

We dove the far left end of the beach and went left along the wall into a light current. Nice healthy wall sloping down at a 50% angle, starts at about 20’ and bottoms out at 100’ Great variety of sponges and corals along the wall with a nice stand of Elk horn in 15’ at the end of the dive. Clouds of Brown Chromis and Creole Wrasse were atop the wall. We had fun with a bunch of Squat Anemone shrimp living under the abundant Sun Anemones in shallow as well. The white sand bottom here provided lots of light, and we recorded 80 foot visibility best of the trip, beautiful dive.

Playa Shon Mosa

Playa Shon Mosa just west of Playa Largu, there is a painted stone at the right turn to get to this little cove. Coral in shallow as we head out to the sloping reef. This is not quite a wall. more an Intricate series of large coral masses with amazing sponges. As we reached 90’ I thought I could see a sea mount as a dark shadow rising off the main slope?

We saw a school of small Barracuda cruising along as well as Jacks, Cerro and big Snapper. Lots of fish here, I got the sense that anything could cruise by. In shallow there was a big Flamingo Tongue and lots of Lettuce sea slugs amongst the coral rubble.

The reef structure here was unlike any other sites we dove, abundant game fish and the sense of adventure getting here made this my favorite dive site of the trip.

Playa Kalki aka Alce in Wonderland

We revisited this site for a warm up dive at the beginning of the trip. Streaming blue Boga schools are a highlight at this site with its strange coral formations. We also found a small sea turtle to hang out with, the only one of the trip.

Playa Kalki is a very popular site so we saw other divers underwater every time we dove here.

Playa Grande

Playa Grande, similar formations to Playa Kalki but on a more sloping wall. Mature Barracuda were present again this year. As the name implies this is a big bay and a big dive site, lots to explore. Neptune statue with a crown of sponges a hoot. Old anchors in harbor, and lots of Tube dwelling anemones in the sand.

As a working harbor there is lots of man made objects interspersed with the reef giving it a less 'pristine' feel. Watch out for boat traffic.

Klein Knip

We revisited Klein Knip which was our favorite shore dive last trip. This time the beach was crowded with sunbathers. The dive here was ok but not as great as last time. Just goes to show that ones impression is subjective. Lots of factors come into play. The first time we dove here we had the beach to ourselves providing a real sense of adventure and we saw a Snake Eel which is rare. This time the long swim out and familiarity of the site took something away from the overall experience. I guess the great thing about Curacao shore diving is the sense of exploration and discovery. There are lots of of sites left to dive so I’m sure we will be back.

Snake Bay not recently but always a very nice place to dive. I prefer to go to the left after reaching the drop-off but I adjust to the current.
Car Pile at Vaersenbaai. One of my favorites but a bit far from the beach, about 15 - 20 minutes to the left, surface swim. The nicest wreck is the pickup truck at 36 meters. The tugboat is too deep (bottom at 52 meters) but can be seen easily from the pickup truck wreck. I will be diving there tomorrow, but without my camera. So no pictures this time.
Car pile at Marie Pampun is another option. Not that many cars but always nice to swim in this underwater world with a lot of remains of the building equipment of the former Princess beach hotel.
My other favorites: Porto Marie, Tugboat (Caracasbaai), Playa Piskado (Westpunt).

After three trips to Curacao, our favorite shore dives are Alice in Wonderland (Playa Kalki) and, definitely, Porto Marie as our favorite of all. Lagun is not too far behind these. All three have (or did when we were there) tank rentals available on site.

I'll tell you about our favorite. Porto Marie is a popular resort beach with lots of sunbathers. Does not interfere with the diving at all. There is a beautiful sandy area in 6-15 feet good for safety stop at the end and with lots of macro critters in the sand itself. Then, the reef forms a "bowl" around a sandy area, then over the top of the reef and it slopes down gradually to 130'. Really beautiful hard corals and sponges, probably the best we saw except for Watamula (a "must do" but it is a boat dive). Hit 130 and slowly worked our way back up the slope to the shallow bowl where we did the safety stop. Had almost 45 minutes of bottom time even with the deep start, but using steel 120s. Lots of tropical fish and macro subjects. Not so many big game fish but this was generally true of Curacao as a whole.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom