What Gear Not To Buy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thought about starting a new thread, but I figured my question could get answered in here. I don't have a lot of dives, but the more I dive the more I want to minimalize my gear. I have 2 console gauge (depth and pressure). I have found I rarely look at my depth on my console as I usually just rely on my computer. I'm thinking about selling the console and just go with a SPG. The only time I could see where the depth gauge on the console would come in handy would be if my computer crapped out and I would want to know where 15' is to still make a safety stop (obviously this after I immediately abort the dive and have no other issues preventing a safety stop). One thing I will say is that in NC most dive operators use a Carolina Rig, so there is a hang line at 15'.

Am I wrong in wanting to get rid of a bulky 2-gague console and just go with a SPG?

Last edited:
As a general rule, quite a lot of choices fall into the category of what I'd call "convenience features" ... anything that, in theory at least, simplifies some aspect of your dive. Keep in mind that convenience features come with a price, and many times they don't work out to be quite as practical as they seemed in theory. So you have to decide whether the feature is worth, for you, what you paid for it. That's going to be a personal decision, and what's "worth it" for some folks will not be for others.

Some examples that come to mind ...
  • purge valves on masks
  • air-integrated dive computers
  • weight-integrated BCDs
  • inline safe seconds (Air 2, etc)
  • split fins
  • almost everything on the scuba accessories rack
... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Hi Bob,

I have a hoseless AI computer, a weight integrated BC, and an Air 2, I must be a crappy diver. I have a house in Boynton Beach, FL. Let me know when you're in the neighborhood and we can dive together. The Boynton Beach reef is fantastic as is the wreck of the Castor. Seriously, you'd enjoy it

Good diving, Craig

Split fins,
weight pockets on a BPW harness
SMB that doesn't have a OPV
Miflex hoses (way too floaty)

Hi Bob,

I have a hoseless AI computer, a weight integrated BC, and an Air 2, I must be a crappy diver. I have a house in Boynton Beach, FL. Let me know when you're in the neighborhood and we can dive together. The Boynton Beach reef is fantastic as is the wreck of the Castor. Seriously, you'd enjoy it

Good diving, Craig

You missed the point completely ... I said nothing about a relationship between gear choices and diving skills.

Please don't confuse me with the "you need to wear this gear or you're a crappy diver" crowd ... I made a career out of training people how to evaluate why they would want to make the purchases they make, and how to get the most out of the equipment they own ... without being judgmental or telling them that they needed to make specific choices.

There's nothing wrong with buying items because of convenience. All gear choices come with benefits and drawbacks. What you should understand ... and the point of my post ... is that they need to apply to how you dive, and why you would want to put up with the drawbacks in order to reap the benefits. Also understand that not every choice you make is going to turn out to be as advantageous as you may have thought it would be when you made the purchase.

That's the point ... your choices say absolutely nothing about your skills as a diver ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Last edited:
Split fins
Personally, I agree. I know others who like them.
weight pockets on a BPW harness
I like mine. I can split my weighting between my belt and my pockets, and the lead in my pockets can be taken out and handed to the boat tender before climbing aboard on a narrow ladder. Fixed weight on my BP can't.

SMB that doesn't have a OPV
Mine is open bottom. Works for my needs.

Miflex hoses (way too floaty)
I don't have a problem with that.

As you can see, and as a couple of us have been saying a few times, different divers have different needs and different priorities. We all need to find out what gear works for us, and there isn't one size that fits all.

It's hard to say because on one hand, the only pieces of gear I haven't replaced are my mask, my Suunto Zoop that currently works as a backup, and my Suunto compass. I've swapped everything else at some point, always for what seemed like a very good reason. On the other hand, everything had served its purpose at some point. The "beginning with the end in mind" sounds great in theory, but I'm not sure it really works in practice for most people. It certainly would not have worked for me. Until a couple years ago, I wouldn't invest in a drysuit, or even my own tanks, because it just didn't seem like I was going to do enough diving to justify the expense. Some of the things I got "with the end in mind", such as 85lbs lift bag, 60lbs doubles wing, or a large Light Monkey reel, with 400 feet of line, aren't getting any use right now.

I'd also caution against buying "travel specific" gear - IMO I don't mind lugging a few extra pounds through an airport 1x or 2x a year. The super lightweight versions just aren't as durable.
There are apparently trips where saving a few pounds on your reg and BCD is the difference between getting on that little plane that will fly you that last leg or not. But in general, yeah.

List please.
things i use my big f@$&ing rambo knife for sawing through 1.5" and thicker rope
digging for lost artifacts as a hammer because it is stainless and has a steel butt it is a great hammer and heavy enough to be used as one as well prying things loose or open i also dive in heavy current and jam my bfk into the sand when i got to go against the current i also have a 4" blade that i keep razor sharp and i use this only for cutting line i do not use it as a tool if this list does not satisfy your requirements then my friend you are impossible to reason with

As a general rule, quite a lot of choices fall into the category of what I'd call "convenience features" ... anything that, in theory at least, simplifies some aspect of your dive. Keep in mind that convenience features come with a price, and many times they don't work out to be quite as practical as they seemed in theory. So you have to decide whether the feature is worth, for you, what you paid for it. That's going to be a personal decision, and what's "worth it" for some folks will not be for others.

Some examples that come to mind ...
  • purge valves on masks
  • air-integrated dive computers
  • weight-integrated BCDs
  • inline safe seconds (Air 2, etc)
  • split fins
  • almost everything on the scuba accessories rack
... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Bob, I whole heartedly agree with your list except the weight integrated BCD- that is the at-pac. I love mine and still dive with one. Got my first one around 1978.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom