Cruise-Friendly Dive Operators in Cozumel and Grand Cayman?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would look into " Scuba with Alison". Her operation will cater to cruise ships. Top notch operation that I used for a week on Cozumel. Good luck and have fun! Always dive safe!

Cozumel the best dive operation is Aldora Dive. They have some of the best dive masters and go to places where you are not bumping into all the other divers and see so much more.

Have you ever had any issues getting back on time?

Never even been close to being late, but we do a lot of coordination with the operation before. 2 good dives (deep, long, nitrox) and I'm ready for a rum drink anyway. Some locations that is all you will have time to do....others you can go shopping or other activities.

Since last post in April last year (wow a year already), did western Caribbean in November, Eastern Caribbean in January and Western again in March of this year.
In November used Off the Wall again in GC, and Aldora in Cozumel. In Roatan used Barefoot Divers, and in Belize the ship excursion (Hugh Parkley).
Off the Wall and Aldora excellent as always. Belize good trip for a ship excursion. Barefoot in Roatan was very good. Got to see reefs and walls on a different side of the island. It was a private trip in that it was just me and the guide. Very enjoyable. only downside is the cost of the cab to and from the cruise port.
January trip was eastern so we went to St. Kitts, St. Maarten and Grand Turk. Being unfamiliar with any of these ports, I went with the ship excursion. St. Maarten had significant surge, but great encounters with sharks. Don't remember the name of the operator. St. Kitts they used St. Kitts Divers. Not too sure there are that many operators as there was a couple I met on the ship that did a private booking on that island. It turned out that they ended up with the same operator, difference was they ran off the ship on arrival and did a morning trip, and the ship excursion was the afternoon trip. Grand Turk, the ship uses Oasis. They are right down the beach from the ship and the only outfit that I could see in the area (plus I have gone with them before and they were very good)

Last trip was Western again. This time went with ship excursion in all but Cozumel. Off the Wall and Epic were already fully booked the day we were in GC. So I went with ship excursion that was supposed to be Kittywake and shallow reef. Turned out I was the only one to sign up for that. The dive guide recognized that I was experienced as soon as I got on the boat. He suggested we do a wall first and then the Kittywake as the shallow second. The wall dive turned out to be the shortest dive all week. Not because the guide rushed me out of the water, which he certainly did not, but because of the deep profile we did which of course used more air. Then he gave me an excellent tour of the Kittywake. This was a new operator for me with the cruise line. not sure what they were called. Operators thru ship in Belize and Roatan were the same as before. Roatan it was Anthony's Key, a very nice operation.

Lou, good to see the feedback from the trips! You used all the same guys I have used. I have been with Anthony's Key, but as a shore guest. In calling several dive operators, I found many use a different standard for their cruise guests than resident guests. I think it's the cruise line's fault as they are so risk averse. Anthony's Key told me depth and time would be limited, so I've always gone with Barefoot from the cruise ships. This was a few years back and maybe the Cruise lines are finally getting the fact they lose business with experienced divers.

I saw the experience first had with Stuart Cove's in Nassau. We went with a cruise line (not their contract) and booked our own deal. Two great dives on a wall to 120 with a wreck at the top then a second wreck. Went back a month later on a different cruise line (they are contracted with) and booked through the cruise line. First dive was 50 feet and you couldn't find a wall if you had to. Second reef was (kid you not) 15 feet. Amazing and very disappointing.

The only other places I've booked through the cruise ship is Belize (kind of have to) and the south side of DR. The DR dive was a pleasant surprise. We walked off the ship and toward the stern. The dive boat was right there. They put us in 6 person max groups according to skill and off we went. Two wall dives (one deep) and they even let us shoot lion fish.

I used Barefoot once about 2 years ago, enjoyed the dives. But the next cruise that I went on arrived @10 am. Barefoot had boats that left at 10 and a later trip (as I remember) @2pm. Couldn't make the 10 am and couldn't make it back to ship on time from afternoon trip.

Unfortunately no cruise on horizon for me, as we have the dogs with us this winter and it costs more to board the dogs for the week than the cost of the cruise.

So it's just local diving out of Boynton Beach for now.

Back
Top Bottom