Flower Gardens, Mv Fling

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I did it on the spree way back when. It's a great trip. Don't bring extra stuff, it's tight.

Flower gardens in the spring can be quite a ride. Start your Bonine 48 hrs before you get on the boat, unless you already have a good set of sea legs.

As long as the weather cooperates, it is great diving. Once on the boat and briefed, you'll find the atmosphere friendly and there's surprisingly little "free" time inbetween the "dive, eat, sleep, then repeat" for that book you were going to read.

East and West Flower are nice with all the coral, but my favorite is Stetson Bank, especially on the night dive, it's like cruising the Moon. You might even get a platform dive in. Tanks are filled for you in place, so you don't have to keep putting your BC on them. I would recommend Nitrox, most of the divers use it.

Food is good, and plentiful. You don't need to bring anything to eat. You'll use half the clothes you brought. But do bring a pullover and a pair of long pants as PJ's, it is kept cool down below. Shower after every dive, you will all be the cleanest people in the world. Lounging on the "aluminum beach" (sundeck above) is fun, as is stargazing at night. Bunks are no-frills, but comfortable, you're there only to sleep. Otherwise, you hang in the galley, or on the dive deck, or the sun deck.

Best good-coral diving for the least money, and from Louisiana you can drive there. If it's a blowout, you'll get the word before you have to leave home. And usually it's not a blowout.

I went back in September and had an absolute blast.
As someone mentioned above, pack light outside of your gear, as the bunks are tight.

Do be prepared for some tough entries and exits--the surf can get rough. Thankfully the DMs all seemed top notch and prepared you well for it if the conditions called for extra caution.

There's a chance you'll get to dive an oil rig and if it comes down to diver vote... vote yes. It was a challenging dive for me but it was fantastic.

I hear Sept is the best time to hit the flower gardens because thats when the coral spawns and that attracts the whale sharks - is this true. I had a trip planned when Katrina hit -- and never went back .. I still plan to go now that my son is ready to dive.

I hear Sept is the best time to hit the flower gardens because thats when the coral spawns and that attracts the whale sharks - is this true. I had a trip planned when Katrina hit -- and never went back .. I still plan to go now that my son is ready to dive.

We went either right before or right after the spawn... would love to see it.
The later in the year you go the higher risk you are at of the waves being far too high--I think they auto cancel any trip where the average wave height is over 24 or 28 inches or something like that.
Honestly, above about 16-20 in and I'd probably be too sick to dive!

You mention your son... how old and how experienced a diver is he?
I went on this trip after 20 dives. I had done extra work in the pool and gotten several specialty cards beforehand but I'd say it's fairly aggressive to do Flower Gardens as a novice diver just because the ocean can be rough out there.

My tips:

1. Bring bug spray for the dock
  2. Get there early and get a bunk in the back of the boat
  3. Make sure you hang on tight to your mask on the jump in
  4. While on the surface keep your face buried down in the water
  5. Never get out of sight of the boat.
  6. Use the downline, the boat and the thin line they run to guide you
  7. Use the HI-376 rig dive to stay shallower, it will help you with bottom time later in trip
  8. End your dive early – be at no less than 1000 psi when you surface because you will have your reg in mouth until you’re standing on the deck
  9. Bring a few DVDs for movie nights
  10. Bring Dramamine

PS: Be sure to give JT a big noogie for me

My tips:

1. Bring bug spray for the dock
  2. Get there early and get a bunk in the back of the boat
  3. Make sure you hang on tight to your mask on the jump in
  4. While on the surface keep your face buried down in the water
  5. Never get out of sight of the boat.
  6. Use the downline, the boat and the thin line they run to guide you
  7. Use the HI-376 rig dive to stay shallower, it will help you with bottom time later in trip
  8. End your dive early – be at no less than 1000 psi when you surface because you will have your reg in mouth until you’re standing on the deck
  9. Bring a few DVDs for movie nights
  10. Bring Dramamine

PS: Be sure to give JT a big noogie for me

+1 to this. 100% agree.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom