How Do These Bungees Secure The Tank?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you are diving al 80's I think you will find that bungee will rotate the valve of the tank up. Rob Neto's sidemount book on Amazon is a fairly good how to book on sidemount. It might help you out till you take a class. There is no one way to sidemount so your instructor might change things.

basically it is a loop and you pull it down (just grab one part of the loop) and put it around the post/handle (whatever you want) and it pull the tanks into your body. That little metal thing just holds the loop so it doesn't get lost - do not unclip it.

Go find a sidemount teacher somewhere - I'm sure there is one hiding in the woodwork. It took me 5 dives to teach myself - it's faster if you just find someone to teach you.

Where in Canada are you?

If it's meant to be a loop-style bungee, then the boltsnap and quick-link are really going to complicate matters around the cylinder. They'll catch, slide, jam and wedge... nasty.

There's really no need for the quick link at all...or even the bolt-snap (for a loop bungee). Most attach directly to the shoulder harness, by way of a triglide/knot or a floating loop on the webbing.

The only common bungee system that requires a quick-link is the (DiveRite) Ring Bungee. But this isn't a ring bungee.

To me, it looks like a frankenstein mash between a loop and ring bungee. Achieving neither of the benefits of either.

Reactions: dsp
Since using it as a ring bungee will be a unspeakably bad, it looks like a badly attached loop system to me :wink:
It's main purpose seems to be detach-ability, I think the idea is to make it easy to put on without getting drysuit arms entangled in the bungee, or something like that.

As devondiver and others say this indeed looks like a very strange system that will probably make working your way near the bungees harder. anyway.
attaching a pic that hopefully helps. in this pic you are facing the valves. the bungees are coming from you.
sidecylinders.png
i

a) have the tanks like in shown configuration. valves facing you, so the regs are between the tanks and you.
b) bolt snaps on the bottom of the tank are facing each other on the inward side of the tanks and are aligned
with the valve posts
c) once ready to secure having clipped the bottom bolt snap of each tank, take a part of the bungee loop
get it under the valve (that each is facing outwards), around the front side of the tanks and hook them to
the valve post.

this will bring the valves upwards and the regs inwards facing each other so that they are protected.

disclaimer: i am not a sidemount instructor so please don't shoot. but this is how i was taught.

...this will bring the valves upwards and the regs inwards facing each other so that they are protected.

Except if you don't have left/right handed valves... in which case you can orientate the right-side cylinder (as worn) with the handle inwards... and use that to secure the loop. This keeps the regulator protected on the inside...and doesn't impede the bungee because the hoses are on the inside, not outside. You could, however, keep the handle pointed outwards, but it tends to be more problematic.

Reactions: dsp
Except if you don't have left/right handed valves... in which case you can orientate the right-side cylinder (as worn) with the handle inwards... and use that to secure the loop. This keeps the regulator protected on the inside...and doesn't impede the bungee because the hoses are on the inside, not outside. You could, however, keep the handle pointed outwards, but it tends to be more problematic.

Rebreather valves come in matched left/right sides. I've found the Blue Steel valves work quite well for sidemount tanks, and they're affordable ...

Rebreathers & CCR Accessories - Rebreather Valves - Northeast Scuba Supply Store

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

If you're diving in MX, the rental tanks are probably going to have standard valves, so one of them will have to be configured to use the knob to secure the bungee.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom