First Dive Trip/ Ow Checkout @ Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Slym

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hey guys so I am back from my trip! It was fantastic, I stayed at the Allegro Cozumel from the 9th to the 16th taking part in the Ultimate Dive Experience.

I travelled with Dan's Dive shop (my LDS out of St Catharines ON) and in total we were a group of 8. I also got certified with them while I was down there so I am a now certified diver!!!!!!!! :D :D :D I logged a total of 12 dives down there.

The Resort:

The resort is really nice, it is small, and has a dive shop on site. I am a super picky eater and I was able to find fantastic food for every meal everyday! The staff at the resort is fantastic, they are what makes the place so awesome! With the Ultimate Dive Experience (UDE) we got upgraded rooms, a private lounge (with self serve alcohol), discounts on dives, and free computer access during the day. The resort itself has really pricey wifi which is not worth it during a vacation. The bars on site were awesome as well, I spent some time at the sports bar with Sergio the bartender, met some cool divers there as well, which some of them I hope to dive with again in the future!

P1000014.JPG

Dive Club with self serve bar and great view!

P1000087.JPG

View from my room

The Dive Shop:

The dive shop is great, and the dive masters are real pros. They don't have much to buy beyond T-Shirts and Hats so don't go thinking you will get a discount on a computer like I did lol (luckly I rented my gear with Dan's dive shop) The gear they rent are all jacket style with short hoses. Decent enough I suppose, I didn't hear any complaints, but I dive in a BP/W. All the reefs are fantastic! It is a marine park so there is a $2 USD charge per day of diving. I also took part in a special dive to wreck C-53! it was fantastic, when I finish editing the video I'll upload it to youtube and post a link.

My Highlight:

Getting certified in Cozumel was the best, what topped it off is that since I was travelling with my LDS I didn't have to get a referral. All the diving is drift, so I was a little nervous at first as I flew with the current, and chewed through my air, but as the week went on I was logging 35-40 minute dives at 60'. Which I consider a pretty good start.

I would certainly go back again! The staff work so hard to keep you happy and even though the resort is a 3.5 star, it really didn't feel like it. For diving this resort is wicked awesome!

Cheers!

Slym

13055146_1199904433355484_3328612790649300304_o.jpg

Me as a newly certified diver! :D

Am envious. Yesterday I dived from the house in 41F (5C) ocean, 6' viz. Saw one crab--he must've been lost being in so shallow in April.

Awesome dude! congrats

Am envious. Yesterday I dived from the house in 41F (5C) ocean, 6' viz. Saw one crab--he must've been lost being in so shallow in April.
You aren't the only one - last weekend I was in 8 deg C water with very few critters to see.

It is a great feeling to be finished OW and diving for fun isn't it? The plan of "lets go down, swim around, see what we can see and come up at xx bar" without worrying about being examined on everything is great.

Congrats....continue your education....

Thanks guys, and Neilwood its really awesome not having to worry about doing skills in the water, and just enjoying the dive.

Can't wait to give the cold water up here a try.

Thanks guys, and Neilwood its really awesome not having to worry about doing skills in the water, and just enjoying the dive.

Can't wait to give the cold water up here a try.

You might not say that when it hits your skin!

More seriously, definitely keep diving even in colder water. I, even with my little experience, feel like I have been prepared quite well for diving in lots of conditions by diving here - cold (low 8C, max 15C), low vis (normal about 3-5m), requiring heavy gear (7mm wetsuit + lots of lead), wearing thick hood/gloves/boots and having to preform skills in them etc. Can't wait until I get in some warm water diving later in the year with virtually no suit, very little lead.

haha one of the guys I dove with in Cozumel was wearing trunks and a T-shirt!

Also something that wouldn't happen (or atl east a slim chance) I lost my SMB 3 days in on Planacar Wall, and at the end of the week one of the people I was travelling with went to the site again just to dive it, she saw a neatly rolled smb sitting close to the drop off, she brought it back up and sure enough it was mine!

Slym - I should have said I love diving even with all the gear that cold(er) water entails. It is a bit of hassle on the surface but once you are in all the hassle is worth it!

great news.......enjoyed reading your dive review and seeing the wonderful photos.........congrats on your new passion.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom