Suggestions On Liveaboards For June 2016

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

violinfather

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Decided on a last minute liveaboard in the Red Sea. I only have about 250 dives and my 19 year old daughter has about 100. All of her diving has been in Cozumel. We love to see sharks but don't want a trip where all we do is float out in the blue scanning for the majestic creatures. I have been to the Brother Islands before and loved it. We have two weeks so was thinking one week liveaboard and then maybe head to the North Red Sea. I am a little concerned about personal safety so would appreciate any updates from people who have recently traveled to the area. Any suggestions for live aboard or dive operators would be appreciated. Thanks.

The Red Sea Aggressor is a US company and this is a newer boat and they are offering 50% off on selected weeks, including all of June, see below.

Aggressor Fleet - The Ultimate in LiveAboards

Save 50% on the Red Sea Aggressor

Book a new reservation starting Feb 15, 2016 on selected weeks:

May 14 - 21, 2016 May 21 - 28, 2016
June 4 - July 23, 2016 Nov 5 - Dec 24, 2016

Money saving specials and other promotions do not apply.
Applies to individuals, couples, and groups.

Also check out Blue O Two (blueotwo.com), Emperor Divers (emperordivers.com), Tornado Marine (tornadomarinefleet.com) - I can personally recommend them based on friends and former colleagues who've worked their boats. I still have friends in both Hurghada and Sharm.

In terms of personal safety, there's nothing to worry about. Hurghada and Marsa Alam (Port Ghalib) are operating as normal, if at slightly reduced numbers. Blue O Two - for example - offer package deals which will include all transfers and hotels (and flights, but only from the UK I think), so they will pick you up at the airport, transfer you to the boat and back.If you want to visit the northern Red Sea then you can do this by liveaboard out of Hurghada - some itineraries will include Tiran and Ras Mohamed, Thistlegorm etc. For the South you might check out Itineraries which include Elphinstone, Daedalus and St. John's. If you want to go to Sharm specifically then the travel restrictions apply only to the airport, not to the resort. EgyptAir have regular scheduled flights to Sharm from Hurghada and Marsa Alam but you may need to check your travel insurance as they may not cover Sharm Airport, or may hike the premium for doing so.

For a bit of shameless self promotion, I've recently written an article for DIVE magazine based on Hurghada liveaboards - for more info you can check it out here: RED SEA LIVEABOARDS - DIVE Magazine

Hope that helps a bit,

Cheers,

C.

Thank you to KathyV and to Crowley for the very helpful advice. Has anyone heard or booked through liveaboard.com as they seem to have a great choice of boats and appear to have lower rates. I think one week liveaboard in the South coupled with either one week liveaboard in the North, or perhaps land based there, would be a great trip. I was thinking of buying a sports car instead of going on this trip and a coworker said "are you crazy look at the memories you will have with your 19 year old daughter:" So true!

Of the southern destinations which offers easier diving i.e. less depth and weaker currents? We both have experience with dives over 30 metres and in strong current. However we have not been diving in one and a half years so don't want to end up on a boat like I did on the Brother Islands with people with 1000 dives who looked at me like I was a bother.

i would book with blue o two, they have somoe amazing deals on at the moment also they're not agents but own their own boats which i think makes a difference should anything go wrong.

i've booked 5 holidays with blue o two and been happy with all of them

Hi,
regarding your logistics, you don't have to take flight from Hurghada to Sharm El Sheikh after first safari. It's not necessary as Northern liveaboard trips start from Hurghada as well.

As soon as you have already been to Brothers, I suppose you are going to choose another itinerary for South this time. They usually start from Marsa Ghalib or Marsa Alam, which are 3-4 hours drive from Hurghada. All major fleets include return transfer from Hurghada in the package of every liveaboard trip.

So, having two safaris back-to-back you are 100% safe, as all the time you are on board or on transfers.

Here are last minute special offers for Red Sea.

Have a nice trip!
Best,
Eugene.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom