New (to Me) Compressor - What To Check?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

randy88k5

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I bought a compressor a while ago, but life got in the way, and I'm just getting around to getting it up and running and making a filling system. First I want to concentrate on getting the compressor running well.

It is a Bauer Mariner 7cfm compressor with a single phase motor. The previous owner I believe bought it second-hand, had it professionally rebuilt for installation on a live-aboard, then decided to get a different model and sent this one to storage. It has not been run since. It shows some surface rust on the frame, but the block looks good.

I'll need to do some rewiring, fix the oil pressure line, and I'm debating disassembling the unit and repainting the base.

Should I look into the first stage for any contaminants?
Should I change the oil? Owner claimed it was synthetic oil.
How should I check the drains and pressure relief valves?
Any other things I should look out for?

The Bauer manual says to run for 10 minutes, then close valve and let the safety valve blow (assuming I check its operation first). Is this how I should begin?

upload_2016-5-4_19-28-4.jpeg

upload_2016-5-4_19-28-16.jpeg

upload_2016-5-4_19-28-29.jpeg

Looks in pretty good condition. When was oil last changed? If more than a year ago, change. Is it a repackable filter? When was it repacked? Did owner giev you any idea of filter life?

Just run and filter air through a cloth to make sure no obvious things come through, then fill a tank and taste the air. Should be okay.

Yes, I'm sure the oil is much more than a year old. I'll change it. I saw reference to an oil filter in the manual. I assume this has one and that will be changed too.

I'm not sure about the filter tower. My notes said it may have been a Mako tower? I'm not sure if it is a packable design or cartridge design. It's definitely empty.

Erm, tasting the air is not a method.

Do you have a CO analyzer?

And find out where you can have the air analyzed for other things. You are working for a grade "E" certification.

Jax, no I don't have a CO analyzer yet, but will once I get the system up and running. it's one of those things I've been meaning to add to the gear.

I am still deciding between continuous blending or partial pressure filling methods. But either way I would need Grade E modified or OCA. Once the system is setup, I was going to use one of those small cylinder mail-in deals to test the air.

Continuous blending systems can be added to a system set up for PP fills pretty easily, so I'm not so concerned with that part of the design right now. I'm just looking to safely start and test the compressor for output and pressure cut-offs.

Reactions: Jax
That filter tower should take a cartridge. look inside and see what the connection port looks like. You are going to what to do an oil change, might be in your best interest to look for debris/rust on the inside of the stages as the unit has been sitting.

On a second hand I would change oil, oil filter and repack air filter anyway, no matter how old.
Well unless I am very sure that it is almost new and right......Small amount of money and better be safe.

I have a capitano. when i got it, i was told to run it at least weekly. I did not and when i startend it with in a week it would pump max of over 4k to barely 3k now. Valves are suspected. I have the rebuild kit but havn't put it in yet. Its probably pumping 3.2k at about 1-2 cuft/min.

So yea if you have oil in it run it and check the performance on a few tanks. fill them and vent them down and do it again. If it has been very recently been rebuilt, then use synthetic oil in it. Time the fills and figure your volumn at both the low end and the top end (2500-3500) you should start around 6-7 and at the end 5-6.

You can get ahold of frogman?? and he can tell you more.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom