Us Dollars Or Honduran Lempiras?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

utila is safe, very little crime other than petty opportunistic theft (not petty if it happens to you). just remember to lock your hotel door and close windows when you leave.
i would avoid all atm's in the bay islands and for that matter most of central america.

Here's an amusing story about bringing cash on vacation. Americans are not allowed to take more than $10,000 in US dollars out of the country - but that will never be an issue for us!

One time we were headed to Cozumel and we were at the airport and in the line to board the plane. A transportation safety officer walked by with a large German Shepard. The dog suddenly did a sharp about face and headed straight for us! He never barked or acted aggressive but he came on in a direct line. He stopped right behind my husband and sat down with his nose level with my husband's back pocket.

I thought "OMG! What in the world does he have in his pocket?!" The officer said something into her walkie-talkie and then said "Sir, are you carrying a lot of cash?" He said "Yes I am, I am going on vacation." She said "May I see what you are carrying in your back, right pocket?" He took out a big wad of bills and handed it to her. It was a big roll of bills but mostly small bills - because we have learned to bring a number of small bills to places like Mexico where it may be hard to get change.

She examined the money and handed it back to him. She said "thank you" and wished him a "nice vacation" and walked away with the dog; but I couldn't believe that dog! It was a cash-sniffing dog!

Last edited:
Probably was a cocaine sniffing dog. A lot of US currency is contaminated. Go figure...:idk:

Check with the dive shop to see if they accept Paypal. I was able to pay with credit through Paypal. This way I did not have to bring cash, though I did tip in cash.

Many businesses there did accept both PayPal and credit cards but tacked on a hefty 10-20% surcharge which we refused to pay. So we pretty well paid everything in cash while we were there. It was the same in El Salvador where I spent a few days afterwards. Something with their banking system. Maybe the higher end businesses might have not added such big surcharges.

You can take out more than 10K but you have to report it. I wish I had to worry about that!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom