Non Rib Diving In Red Sea

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mavric

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi there

I am keen to try a live aboard in the Red Sea but being pretty overweight do not want to face the indignity of battling in and out of the inflateable tenders, especially if they don't have ladders. Does anyone know of a fleet or boats that either have hard-hulled tenders with a boarding ladder or only dive off the back of the live aboard please?

It might seem trivial to some but if I'm paying I would like to choose the boat type....

Also not seeing myself getting any leaner anytime soon!

Regards
Mavric

Hi there

I was on a boat some time ago with a guest who was a little on the large side and on a previous trip with a guest who was in his 80s. Both did most of their diving off the back of the boat , round in a circle and back again. They missed some but not all of the really big stuff. You will be expected to climb up the ladder with all your gear and fins on though. I have personally never seen zodiacs with ladders in the Red Sea.

Obviously if you have a buddy who is happy to do this with you , this is a whole lot easier than with an instability. The guides need to be happy that you are competent as a buddy pair , but this is usually not an issue.

Both trips were with blue o 2 the southern routes...Simply the best and the brothers and elphinstone.

Have a good trip

again may be worth speaking to blue o two, but you could do the maldives where i believe you generally dive off a dhoni so no tenders? someone who has been to maldives can clarify.

could be worth doing day boats as they generally are rigid?

Yes, Maldives liveaboards dive off a dhoni. Quite a fabulous way to dive.

I'm a bit distressed to read here that all liveaboard diving in Red Sea is done from rib with no ladder. This is going to be a very serious problem for me.

I'd particularly like to hear from those that have been on Red Sea Aggressor.

Thanks

Yes, Maldives liveaboards dive off a dhoni. Quite a fabulous way to dive.

I'm a bit distressed to read here that all liveaboard diving in Red Sea is done from rib with no ladder. This is going to be a very serious problem for me.

I'd particularly like to hear from those that have been on Red Sea Aggressor.

Thanks

Just finished the Southern and then the Northern route today. The Red Sea Aggressor has two sturdy RIBs with ladders. Boarding one from the boat and reboarding from the water was relatively stable and easy. You take off your weight belt or take out your weight pockets, hand up your tank and BC, hand up your fins, and climb up the ladder. Several overweight divers with reasonable fitness did not have any problems, including in rougher seas.

Take a look at Red Sea Relaxed
the 'open dive deck' idea might be what you want.

Really though you ought to go to Scapa and dive from boats with lifts.

scubadada post: 7681429:
You take off your weight belt or take out your weight pockets, hand up your tank and BC, hand up your fins, and climb up the ladder. Several . . ..

Thanks, phew! That's a great relief to learn . I've got bad shoulders which partly originated from getting back into a boat with no ladder. :)

For both Maverik and Chilly...

Most of the Red Sea liveaboards will involve a RIB at some point - the size of some of the vessels makes them impossible to manoeuvre close to some of the reefs, often dependent on the conditions. I can't comment specifically on what type of RIB each liveaboard carries, however what I can say is that the companies mentioned in recent posts - Aggressor, Tornado Marine, Blue O Two and Emperor, for example - will be able to cater to divers who find it difficult to board a RIB. This may involve being towed by the RIB back to the boat - something not terribly uncommon and also used for elderly divers, or divers with mobility problems or disabilities that make even climbing a hard letter to the dive platform not so easy. It's not always pretty, but it's pretty good fun! :)

Hopefully people with direct experience such as scubadada will be able to give you better information, but also mention it to the dive centres when you start your enquiries. Be open and up front about it, and I'm very sure they will find a way to assist you.

Hope that helps,

Cheers

C.

Thanks KenGordon and scubadada the Aggressor ladder RIBs sound perfect as does the open dive deck concept! What do you mean by "Scapa" please? Is it a place or a dive operation?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom