Dcs & Then Some

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tammy,

Just heard about this from a diver at our shop. Thank you for sharing this, and good luck with your future life changes. I have not a doubt that you'll be even stronger after it's done.

Steve

Glad you said that. Just a note to all divers of North Central FL. I was informed, while there, that South Georgia Medical Center in Valdosta is the ONLY place taking divers for hyperbaric treatment. The chamber in Tallahassee has been shut down. They have 2 chambers available.

Is the Tallahassee chamber down permanently?

DM is a terrible disease-----(a little FYI here---but---hopefully someone has already told you this)In my field it's the leading cause of blindness in the US(worldwide another problem---trachoma)......BE SURE & have your eyes examined on a regular bases from here on out--q yearly to begin with.....good luck with everything in the future.....

We're rooting for you, Tammy! Show us the way to good health and long life!!!

I'm curious about the chamber issue too. I know there was a chamber at Shands in Gainesville many years ago but is it not in use anymore? If it is, it would be much closer to Ginnie than going all the way to Valdosta so why would they send you there?

I'm curious about the chamber issue too. I know there was a chamber at Shands in Gainesville many years ago but is it not in use anymore? If it is, it would be much closer to Ginnie than going all the way to Valdosta so why would they send you there?
Please disregard the question. After stumbling onto another recent thread about chambers, insurance, etc. I think I found my answer in a general sense. (Along with an argument or 2 among some posters.) Glad you're recovering well Tammy and best wishes on the Diabetes management. It runs heavily in my family too (my father has been one for the last 30 years) but fortunately I'm not diagnosed with it. However both my primary and endo docs monitor my bloodwork regularly and I do pretty well with the nutrition part so keep up the good progress in the lifestyle changes and doctor monitoring and stay positive. :)

New update- I have held consistently with a morning/ fasting glucose of 80- 120 (near normal levels) for the past 4 months. There is the occasional excursion above 150,.. but that is only about once a month (usually after a night before celebrating or a big meal). My original A1c was 11.6,... my next one was 6.6 & will get checked again in Jan., as long as I don't have a huge change in my daily glucose levels. I have been working hard to keep my levels at or near normal levels. Been killing me to have to turn down doughnuts & other goodies that I love,... but I have found that with common sense (avoiding heavy sugars & carbs), a little reading of nutritional facts & limiting portions, that my diet really hasn't changed massively. Yes, there are some times when my resolve gets tested, but they aren't huge & I have a huge amount of support from co- workers, family & friends.

Back
Top Bottom