Diving Roatan In November

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Debvenice

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
We are planning a week diving in Roatan in November (I know it's the rainy season, but it must be better than Vancouver!). Anyone have any experience with this? I've been reading that we should perhaps stay on the south side. I had planned to stay at Seagrape (just east of West End). Advice?

I've been to Roatan in the month of November a number of times. Weather-wise it's a crap shoot but I've been fortunate to have had good weather more often than not.

I'm a West End fan, so I'll not tell you to go to the south side. :)

If you like being in a little village where you can walk everywhere and enjoy a choice of restaurants and some evening activities, as well as your diving, then West End is the right place for you.

If you're all about the diving and don't care about leaving dive camp, then the south side (aka Cocoview) is the right place for you anyway, at any time of year.

Haven't been in Nov, but 3 times in March, Once over New Years. Definitely more rain over New Years and it seemed the carnivorous insects were a bit more hungry.

I haven't been in November, but it rained every day, all day during my last trip in mid February.
I stayed and dove on the south side. Visibility was only a little reduced at depth, still well over 50 ft. There was a fair amount of dirty run-off at the surface that went down 15 or 20 feet and blocked a lot of light tho. There was more current than I am used to in Roatan, but I stayed in West Bay on my previous trips and that might be the difference.
I am returning next month, it should be sunny this time, I'll find out about the current then.

I also love West Bay - it's beautiful there! But if I want to visit that side of the island, it won't be from late October thru March. While rain is one thing, the winds that sometimes accompany the "cold fronts" that move thru during the winter months can make conditions very unfavorable for diving.

My preferred dates there would be April - early October. But...as mentioned in the previous post, it's really a crapshoot :)

Don't forget hurricane season. Was there the day tropical storm Mitch became Hurricane Mitch. Not fun

If there is a hurricane (rare, Mitch was 1998) or one very close by (crap shoot), then there is no diving period. Doesn't matter which side of the island you are on.

I pretty much agree with chillyinCanada and would rather not dive through the sewage runoff on the surface:

A preliminary analysis of Landsat data by Cascade Tuholske, a geographer at the University of California, Santa Barbara, shows that the built environment on the island increased by 300 percent between 1985 and 2014. “There is an interesting contradiction playing out on Roatán,” said Tuholske. “On the northern coast in the areas of Sandy Bay and West End, the island’s development has led to increased marine conservation awareness and the establishment of marine protected areas. On the southern coast, the boom in tourism is causing increased ecosystem damage through the cutting of mangroves, sewage runoff, and increased garbage.”​

How Tourism Changed the Face of Roatán : Image of the Day

See, this is why we can't have nice things :mad:

Professor Tuholske's expertise is certainly limited to looking at satellite images. The impact and effects indeed might be what he is portraying (IF you were wearing blinders), but how this actually has occurred (versus his un-scientific explanation of what he calls an "interesting contradiction") shows an obvious political bias, likely based on his California perspective.

In terms of rain, the plain, simple fact is that November is by far the rainiest month in Roatan.

Anecdotal evidence, as in, "it was nice when I was there last November", so says Moe, Curley and Marcos, well, here's the facts: Average Weather For Roatán, Honduras - WeatherSpark

Read that, study the charts, the graphs. The reality and truth? It's pretty obvious.

Again, simple incontrovertible weather facts: On Roatan, sucky weather comes from the North. This sucky stuff appears November through February, pretty predictably. Better conditions, certainly for that period, are to be found on the South side. Less wind, less wave, absolute scientific meteorological fact.

The South side is only appealing to divers. There is no terrestrial distraction to amuse the non-diver. Stay on the South side if you came for a dive vacation. There is also spectacular South side snorkeling, which has the "closest-in" reef structure on the island. It is not for the "casual, umbrella drink, lay on the beach snorkeler". It is, because of it's remoteness, a place where serious naturalist hobbyists show up. In short, do not come to any of the very few South side resorts expecting any topside amusement or diversions.

from Doc Radawski, resident since 1972....

In the very near future, Roatan (and the Bay Islands) will soon evolve into the same grey u/w moonscape as have all of the other Caribbean rocks which are familiar to our SCUBA Magazine readers. For now, it's still pretty good.

I have been regularly diving the Bay Islands since 1984... 32 years. I have been there every month of the calendar, for extended periods, dove all around that island, done the entirety of the island being towed behind a boat on an aquaplane. The degradation of the reef structure over the last 15 years, no matter which side of the island, has been obvious and exponentially increasing. This experience base causes me to view many "recent expert" comments with a twinge.

Go, dive Roatan now, before it becomes Cayman (underwater) and Coney Island (on land), before Professor Tuholske's warnings inevitably take effect.
It doesn't take a college degree to know that we are all crapping in our Caribbean toilet. A few miles away makes no difference.

Last edited:
My husband and I want to do our Deep Diver Certification, but I must say, I'm not looking forward to going back into the dark waters of Vancouver with a Drysuit. Maybe we should do our Deep Cert. when we are in Roatan. What outfits are the best?

Back
Top Bottom