Has Anybody Been To Sorido Bay Resort For Diving? If So, Was It Worth It?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

anenomefishman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
we couldn't find any suitable liveaboards for the raja ampat area for when we want to go. we are going to go land-based for raja ampat area.

Bruce

kri_small-740x400.jpg

We were across the strait (15-20 min by boat) at Papua Explorers, which was very nice, well equipped. Bit less fancy than Sordido Bay seems based on the pictures, but great guides, diving, and really nice private pondoks (houses on stilts), which Sordido Bay lacks. And friendlier on the wallet. Due to location The two resorts on Kri (Kri Eco and Sordido Bay) will likely get slightly better sunsets. If that matters enough to you.

Would definitely consider going back to Papua Explorers, for what it's worth. Had a great week there.

I was there in December. Maybe I just had exceptionally bad luck, but I thought the viz was terrible, the diving very mediocre, and the resort entirely overrated for the prices they charge. It's convenient (less than 5 minutes by boat) to dive the Cape Kri dive site, which is what so many people who dive in northern RA want to see, so there is that.

Was it worth it? To me, no. But that's just my personal opinion. Obviously YMMV. I've had far better diving experiences elsewhere in Indonesia and PNG.

We were at Papua Explorers (which I highly recommend) in late October. You'll be looking at it from Sorido. It was our third trip to Raja Ampat, and the first one land-based. Viz was far better on the same dive sites on our previous two trips ... I guess you just get what you get. One reason often repeated is that weather systems there are in flux, just like in the rest of the world, and out of the ordinary rain systems and ocean currents produced a combination of dirty runoff and high plankton counts when it wasn't expected. But when you hit it right, there are some stunning dive sites, Cape Kri definitely among them. On an incoming tide, in the afternoon, there must have been fifty species of fish lined up for dinner at Cape Kri. That was a dive I will never forget. Also do not miss Otdima, right at your front door. Whatever the conditions, it's all part of diving, and we have no regrets!

Last edited:
I was there in December. Maybe I just had exceptionally bad luck, but I thought the viz was terrible, the diving very mediocre, and the resort entirely overrated for the prices they charge. It's convenient (less than 5 minutes by boat) to dive the Cape Kri dive site, which is what so many people who dive in northern RA want to see, so there is that.

Was it worth it? To me, no. But that's just my personal opinion. Obviously YMMV. I've had far better diving experiences elsewhere in Indonesia and PNG.

that doesn't sound too good... just got back from crappy vis and colder water diving in the galapagos. i was hoping for some clearer water in RA. the anemone fish in my picture came from wakatobi, indonesia. we have been there a couple times. love it.

that doesn't sound too good... just got back from crappy vis and colder water diving in the galapagos. i was hoping for some clearer water in RA. the anemone fish in my picture came from wakatobi, indonesia. we have been there a couple times. love it.

Like highdesert said, it's the luck of the draw. If you hit it right, then it's probably amazing. I've seen enough photos from the place to indicate that it can be absolutely mindblowing there. It's just that my trip wasn't - and I wasn't the only person who left the resort at the end of our stay who was pretty disappointed with the experience. You may go there and everything will be spectacular. Or you may have a similar experience to me. Nobody can tell. I just think it's an expensive place to stay when the experience can be so hit or miss, especially if it misses for you.

We were at Sorido in 2012 so a long time ago. I did an Undercurrent review. The diving was great with good viz and lots of current.

The resort operation was dreadful and inefficient, except for the kitchen which was quite good. The dive operation was very lackadaisical and only came anywhere near sufficient when pressed very hard. Bad tank o-rings, no briefings, boats that didn't run consistently, etc.

Max was only around a couple of days but even then it was clear that staff were more concerned with him than the guests.

I know they've changed the local management since then.

Last edited:
Have been to Papua Explorers - across the Dampier strait - end of 2014. Had a great time there ! Viz was very often quiet good ( 20-30m ) and the variety of fish and other marine live impressive. Had a look at Sorido and Kri Eco before as well, but Sorido was a bit over my budget and Kri Eco offers in the same pricerange as Papua Explores less comfort and not such good individual service - at least thats what I noticed by comparing the reports about both resorts. The distance to Cape Kri, a great spot, where we went three times diving and on the last day before flying out snorkeling -also a great experience, is really no problem. Here is my report : Raja Ampat : Papua Explorers Resort on Gam
Raja Ampat is definatly a place I would like to visit again.

I was there in May 2010. It is a nice resort: scenic grounds, very nice and spacious accommodations, friendly staff and decent food. Diving was good at that time. There were mandarinfish at the end of the pier.

The place is indeed pricey and back then you couldn't dive on Saturdays. That factors into the answer to your question on whether it is worth it.

We took Malarone as a malaria preventive.

Back
Top Bottom