Ear Infection Prevention While Diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

boleslav

Registered
Reaction score
Hello,
We are going to Sulawesi, Indonesia for some snorkeling and diving.
Some travelers complained that they get ear infections and have to stay on the antibiotics.
I would like to check what do you use, your suggestions, how to prevent the ear infection while diving ?
Thank you.

thank you Matt, will check it out in detail.
In case I can not get my MD to prescribe the Otic Domeboro solution, I'd like to hear what are the people's experiences with using substitutes.

I use 190 proof alcohol after every dive. It will kill anything in there and dry with very little residue.

I use a 1:1 mixture of rubbing alcohol and white vinegar in a medicine dropper. For me straight rubbing alcohol dries out my ears too much and makes the ear canal itchy.

I use an ear beer concoction of 1/3 vinegar, 1/3 alcohol, 1/3 hydrogen peroxide. Mix it up in a condiment bottle like this. Works great because the nipple on the bottle fits right in your ear for a good flush.

image.jpg

Here read this to fix your ear concerns.

When I hit 40 I would get ear infections every time I spent more than a couple hours a day in the water. Then I started using the recipe below after EVERY dive. I haven’t had an ear infection in 24,28,35 years. I always have a bottle on board and in my truck. I just take the cap off hold my finger over the opening and let a small amount go down into each ear.

All the materials are available at any drug store for less than $10.00. The Alcohol dries the water, The boric acid is what your grandmother used for infections and the white vinegar keeps the wax from drying up because of the alcohol.

Ear wash recipe
1 Pint 70% or less % Isopropyl Rubbing Alcohol

Boric acid powder 6 oz. is more than enough

White Vinegar

Pour out about 2" of the alcohol out.

Pour or put about 2 Table spoons Boric acid into Alcohol and shake up. If acid remains in powder on bottom you have enough if not add until a small amount remains on bottom. Only a certain % will go into solution so you can't overdue the Boric Acid. Fill the remaining area in the bottle with white vinegar and shake up. The solution is now ready to use.

I usually buy 3 or 4 bottles of alcohol and mix them up in a big bowl then pour them back mixed up into the alcohol bottles. This way the powder on the bottom remains in the bowl and won’t make your ears white when the solution dries out after pouring it into your ears.

50/50 alcohol and vinegar mix works perfectly. I put mine in a small nasal saline bottle. The alcohol kills bacteria and drys the ear. The vinegar keeps your ph right. I use it after every dive and if I am in a pool or a closed water environment I use it before as well. 1 Minute for each ear is usually enough. I haven't had an ear infection since 1995. I dive in some pretty yuk stuff most of the time. Mark

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom