Connecting Sidemount Bottles With Hphose

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lermontov

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
has anyone tried to connect the two side bottles with a High pressure hose to make it twins but on the side

As i see it, it would need a shut off valve to isolate and a bleed valve to disconnect

has it been done any success?

I think the low-pressure variant of it is what's called the UTD z-system (pardon if I just said something wrong, I've never used it, only vaguely heard about it). Do you think there would be any advantage to connecting tanks via an HP hose, as opposed to LP?

no I just assumed it would have to be Hp if it came straight out from the valve

Do you think there would be any advantage to connecting tanks via an HP hose, as opposed to LP?
Do you see any advantage to a real manifold, as opposed to the UTD thing? I know I do...

If you get a connection at valve level, you're able to balance your tanks, leaving both of them open at all time, having the gas in both of them available at any time, etc....

IIRC, a "soft manifold" has been used in some rebreathers, but I think it didn't have an isolation valve.

IIRC, a "soft manifold" has been used in some rebreathers, but I think it didn't have an isolation valve.
LOLA HPI 300 - Flexible Valve DIN Connector

These have no isolator and would not be good for sidemount anyway. For sidemount you would need something with high flow HP and some kind of hot quick disconnect that works underwater.

For the OP, you can't just use a hose between HP ports on a regulator because they don't have enough gas flow. If you want to dive sidemount like backmount, UTD z-system seems like a good enough solution (I have never dove it, but I do know some folks that really like it).

Not true. The Lola valves each have two orifices, note the two valve knobs on *each* valve assembly. The outlets used for the "soft manifold" can be shut independently of the other orifices. Think of it as having *Two* isolators, one on each cylinder.

I'm not advocating this approach for SM, but the manifold in the link definitely allows for isolation.

I build a similar system a few years ago using "H" valves and rigid High pressure tubing.

Tobin

Not true. The Lola valves each have two orifices, note the two valve knobs on *each* valve assembly. The outlets used for the "soft manifold" can be shut independently of the other orifices. Think of it as having *Two* isolators, one on each cylinder.

I'm not advocating this approach for SM, but the manifold in the link definitely allows for isolation.

I build a similar system a few years ago using "H" valves and rigid High pressure tubing.

Tobin
Thanks Tobin. I see it now.

Here is the RB frame and manifold I built in 2010 to allow manifolded dil bottles on a Re breather. Note the H valves. Each acts as an "Isolator" With a conventional manifold the Iso bar communicates directly with the contents of the cylinder, and requires the entire set of doubles be fully drained if you need to separate the two cylinders. With this approach, or the with the Lola Valves the tanks can be broken down without draining the cylinders. You do lose one of the DIN face orings as there is no way to bleed the manifold. Pretty esoteric application, but interesting.
P1010121.JPG

IMO, one of the key features of SM (or independent Twins) is the advantages it offers for self rescue, at the "expense" of reduced team rescue potential. Understanding the the pros and cons of each is worthwhile. Pick the one that best addresses the risks a given dive presents, and avoid trying to make one system do both.

Tobin

because?

Back
Top Bottom