Best editing software for pictures taken with sealife

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Photoshop is great if you want to invest the time in learning to use it. Infinitely powerful, with an extremely steep learning curve. On windows, I use either Paint or Paint Shop Pro. Paint shop pro is in between the two for power, ease of use, and cost. There are some canned effects in PSP that I really like.

---------- Post added December 23rd, 2013 at 09:55 AM ----------

You can launch Photoshop, then select File -> Open As -> Select "camera raw" from the pulldown, and then select your image. This will open a compressed JPEG or other file (TIFF, GIF, PNG etc) as if it were a camera raw. I do this occasionally to correct white balance because the white balance tool in adobe camera raw is really nice.

Great call ... Using that exact approach with PSE 9 on some pics to make prelim adjustments before 'opening' and working through any remaining adjustments necessary in the 'regular' program.

i know the thread is old at least point.... but just wanted to throw GIMP into the picture... it's free and works well but has a learning curve like photoshop

This thread is a few years old...does anyone have a different updated program to suggest or are the original recommended programs still valid programs to edit Sealife's JPEG format today I n 2016?

Unfortunately, Mac is no longer supporting Aperture. They wanted to revamp iPhoto but that still sucks. So, even though I still use Aperture for the time being, that's out.

This thread is a few years old...does anyone have a different updated program to suggest or are the original recommended programs still valid programs to edit Sealife's JPEG format today I n 2016?

The GIMP is cross-platform and only costs you the effort of learning to cope with it. It's a bit of an effort, and interface sucks IMO, but at least you didn't pay the photoshop's price for the suckage. Although the thing I do most often is white balance, and GIMP's controls for that are reasonably intuitive, once you get the hang of it.

I really wish DC1400 could record RAW images: there's only so much WB correction you can do on JPEG and the camera seems to get it wrong more than half the time. Next dive trip I'm going to try carrying a slate and using it to set manual WB for the shots.

Hi All, always good to hear what folks are using and thinking. I'm partial to my product: www.vivid-pix.com/scuba

Please give it a try - for free. Folks like Cathy Church and Marty Snyderman recommend it - as well as possibly a dive buddy!

Please ask any questions about it - happy to help - and also, if you want to send me a photo to give "The Vivid-Pix Fix", please feel free: info@vivid-pix.com

Sea Ya,
Rick

I've had my first experience today with a DC1400 and haven't found my "rythm" with it yet. Stared looking at this section and found it very needful to have proper software not only for today's pictures but the past 3 years woth. Downloaded the Vivid-Pix free trail and it is as easg as can be to work. I believe this will go from trail version to fully paid by the end of the weekend

I used to be happy with but no longer use Vivid-Pix because I now shoot RAW exclusively, but for underwater jpeg you cannot beat it for functionality and value. Sure, you can do more with PhotoShop, but that is a huge investment in time (both learning and using) and money, and still isn't as easy to use as Vivid-Pix. I only know of one BIG thing you can do with PhotoShop that is not in Vivid-Pix or any other package I know of, and that is removal of particle backscatter from a strobe in "dusty" water.

Thanks tursiops. Glad you like our software. Correct, we do not currently support RAW . We've heard others describe their workflow to shoot in RAW and JPG - doing the majority of their fixing in Vivid-Pix and then with some of their images to bring it into RAW editing programs - like Photoshop. Thanks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom